how do i make my jagstang sound more like a mustang?

i just scored one off my local craig's list... never played a jagstang before or heard one in person until a few days ago. i'm starting to see why it's mostly considered a novelty guitar.

what modifications would you guys recommend for getting it to sound like a mustang? starting with the pickups. i'm trying to swap those out asap...

i just scored one off my local craig's list... never played a jagstang before or heard one in person until a few days ago. i'm starting to see why it's mostly considered a novelty guitar.

what modifications would you guys recommend for getting it to sound like a mustang? starting with the pickups. i'm trying to swap those out asap...

that's all you can really do...

I would think putting mustang pickups would do the trick. You could get a Warmoth guard with mustang pickup openings.

+1 and get Fender Mustang Reissue pups. You could also get vintage Fender Mustang pups, or even get some hand wound to vintage Mustang specs. Although I will say, keeping the stock pickguard and changing out the humbucker and single-coil will improve the sound significantly. It is also very possible that whoever owned it before you trashed the action and intonation. With a proper setup and new pickups, the Jag-Stang is much more than a "novelty" guitar. That is just my opinion though.

• Like 1

it can play great if you set it up right. mine was setup all wrong for years and I HATED it. Since my brother toook the time to fix it, it's one of my favorite to play, and it probably has my favorite neck too. The action is good, the neck is thin, and the bridge doesn't have to be locked. If you know how to set it up right the thing doesn't fall out of tune every to you use the wammy bar.

The issue is definitely the pickups. It sounds like a tin can full of Canadian coins. You'll have to put some new pickups in it.