Jag-Stang Bass project

Hey folks,

So after my Warmoth Jagstang project I have been dying to start another project. (I am currently working on a Vandalism strat project but I am not super excited about strats so my heart isn't totally into it-though I can post pictures if anyone is interested.)

My idea is failry simple. I have a squier bass p-bass that I have replaced the pickups with Fender Original 62's. It sounds awesome, but in my mind looks horrible. It red with a white pickguard and just doesn't stir anything. Sooo I have seen this image floating around:Jag-Stang Bass

My plan is to use mustang hardward/pickguard, shape a new body, but use the neck from the p-bass so it will be full sized bass (not a shortscale.) The plan will be to paint it seafoam green with a pearal pickguard.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions? Any tips on getting the dimensions correct?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys, so here is a quick update. I am in law school and have been slogging my way through finals so the project will really begin over summer. cobainjagstang123: that sounds awesome and I would love to see pics! also the vandalism strat is semi-complete but I haven't been able to find the sticker. It was on e-bay forever and then when I went to buy ot it was gone. Also the guitar's neck is funky. The last owner stripped the truss rod so I can't get the action right and there is also somethign funky with the string spacing- the hi e is to close to the edge of the fretboard. Once I get it a little more sorted I will probably post some pics. ThreeStringGuitar: do it! The jag-stang is cool, but it has a tremendous amount of untapped possibilities. someone just posted a great build in the pics section- I love that stuff!

hey guys, so here is a quick update. I am in law school and have been slogging my way through finals so the project will really begin over summer. cobainjagstang123: that sounds awesome and I would love to see pics! also the vandalism strat is semi-complete but I haven't been able to find the sticker. It was on e-bay forever and then when I went to buy ot it was gone. Also the guitar's neck is funky. The last owner stripped the truss rod so I can't get the action right and there is also somethign funky with the string spacing- the hi e is to close to the edge of the fretboard. Once I get it a little more sorted I will probably post some pics. ThreeStringGuitar: do it! The jag-stang is cool, but it has a tremendous amount of untapped possibilities. someone just posted a great build in the pics section- I love that stuff!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kurt-Cobain-Decal-Sticker-off-his-Strat-Guitar-/170486455981?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item27b1c8dead there ya go

• 1 month later...

Thanks redman1401, I just bought it and will post when it is applied. ok, update on the bass: i have traced/enlarged/fiddled with the lines for the outline. I have also sourced some mahogony. my buddy is fantastic with woodworking and thinks I should not paint it and do my own pickguard out of curly maple. i still like the idea of sonic blue or seafoam green with a pearl pickguard. any thoughts? pics should be up soon!

• 5 months later...

Thanks a lot man, did you have to do anything else to it? I've heard stuff about having to shim the neck and drill deeper holes into the body.

I shimmed the neck yea, the height my TOM sits is perfect, but the action would of been too high and i didn't bother to route the old holes bigger to fit the new pots, so i just used two small pieces of cardboard and shimmed the neck, perfect action now.