I did a search and didn't find any relevant threads so figured i'd ask. Is there anyone still here that could make a left handed red tort pickguard for a 69 reissue stang? I decided to put my black super distortion back in my mustang and with the brown tort, its just too dark. Most custom places i've seen charge a ridiculous up charge for it to be left handed so i figured i'd ask here. I do remember some people around here did make them before but i've been away for awhile.

I did a search and didn't find any relevant threads so figured i'd ask. Is there anyone still here that could make a left handed red tort pickguard for a 69 reissue stang? I decided to put my black super distortion back in my mustang and with the brown tort, its just too dark. Most custom places i've seen charge a ridiculous up charge for it to be left handed so i figured i'd ask here. I do remember some people around here did make them before but i've been away for awhile.

I would use pickguardian.com. Tony there does awesome work and has great red tortoise material. He would just need a tracing/drawing of what you would need. Here is a picture of the tort guard he made for me.

6920140720_b324e65d4a.jpg

IMG_1892 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

• Like 2

Only issue i have is that i'm expecting there to be an upcharge since i need it left handed.

399549_10150470147518647_591588646_8655367_152016914_n.jpg

as you can see, the dark brown tort kind of hides the black humbucker...kind of annoying.

Hard to say if Tony upcharges for lefty. All it means is turning the template upside down....

i agree, but places like chandler and whatnot charge like a 10% upcharge, rediculous, anyway i sent them an email for a quote so we'll see.

On a $40 guard, that is just $4 more for a lefty. If it is custom, I don't think that much is too bad.

except for its like 70 for the material from one place, plus the 10% upcharge, plus shipping and all that, ended up coming to around 80-90 bucks

I paid over $100 for the guard above. It was expensive material, custom shape, and then shipping. Worth it to me to have a stunning pickguard. Cheaper pickguards look cheap to me. If I bother to get something custom and more pricey, I want it to look like the money I put in to it. :)

I paid over $100 for the guard above. It was expensive material, custom shape, and then shipping. Worth it to me to have a stunning pickguard. Cheaper pickguards look cheap to me. If I bother to get something custom and more pricey, I want it to look like the money I put in to it. :)

thats all well and good and i agree, cheap stuff does look cheap, just a matter of being able to afford it with everything else.

thats all well and good and i agree, cheap stuff does look cheap, just a matter of being able to afford it with everything else.

Yup, but if you put a bunch of cash in to a nice guitar, why throw a cheap guard on it? Just my opinion though. :)

eh i've had the stang for ages so its not a huge deal, my jagstang though does need a new pickguard as well, the old fender pearloid issue of it peeling, but i can get one for like 40 bucks on ebay. specially have to keep some money aside because i'm planning on building my girlfriend a custom guitar for christmas, which may end up being a mustang.

How long did it take for him to make the guard for you. he gave me a decent quote so i'm curious as to how long once he gets the trace to have it done.

How long did it take for him to make the guard for you. he gave me a decent quote so i'm curious as to how long once he gets the trace to have it done.

It took a few weeks. Mine was a custom guard so he had to make a template for it. He gives regular updates and is good on replying to emails.

It took a few weeks. Mine was a custom guard so he had to make a template for it. He gives regular updates and is good on replying to emails.

And how did you get him the trace, were you able to scan it or did you have to mail it? Sorry for all the questions, i'd just like to know these things so i know how fast i can get my mustang back into working order.

And how did you get him the trace, were you able to scan it or did you have to mail it? Sorry for all the questions, i'd just like to know these things so i know how fast i can get my mustang back into working order.

I photocopied the blacktop pickguard and also photocopied a guard with humbuckers. I taped the humbucker parts cut out on to the blacktop one. Then I cut off where the plates covered and then photocopied that and mailed it to Tony.

6312975001_dc2fa53ea5.jpg

DSC01845 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

6331502635_3e18c55ea2.jpg

IMAG0632 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

I did a hand drawn trace since my pickguard still had the holes from the single coil since my tech couldn't use the originals on it for the humbucker. what tort was yours, the 60s or the modern tort?

He offers real nitro tort on PVC mint, black, mint. When you email him, just make sure you say you want the red nitro tort vs brown tort and the real nitro stuff. :) He will know what you are talking about.

He offers real nitro tort on PVC mint, black, mint. When you email him, just make sure you say you want the red nitro tort vs brown tort and the real nitro stuff. :) He will know what you are talking about.

i did say red tort, and he sent samples of 60s tort and modern fender tort, which is why i asked.

i did say red tort, and he sent samples of 60s tort and modern fender tort, which is why i asked.

Modern Fender tort is brown. Ask him for Red nitro tort. He will know what you mean, that is all I had to say. :)

Modern Fender tort is brown. Ask him for Red nitro tort. He will know what you mean, that is all I had to say. :)

thats why i told him the 60s tort, which is why i figured its what yours was, since it was redder. i just need to get to the post now and send the tracing, sadly tomorrow the post is closed.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the guard came today, figured i oughta post a couple photos.

100_07531.jpg

100_07561.jpg

Dang work filter is blocking them. I will have to check once I get home.

In the mean time, do you like it?

Dang work filter is blocking them. I will have to check once I get home.

In the mean time, do you like it?

i do, i was worried about it having maybe too many dark spots or real bright yellow parts, but both of those are very subtle and blend really well. in certain lights it looks real bright red, other lighting it has a darker red which gives it a nice look and blends beautifully with the sonic blue. the tortoise pick they sent with it was nice as well.

Well, I like it.

if we should ever meet, I'd buy you a bottle of nice wine and leave you with it

and i'd be playing your Stang at the parking with some candle light behind your back :mrgreen:

You'd be talking 'bout the color...I'd be touchin' her strings ;)

Don't worry, she's really pretty...