Hi, so I'm looking to get rid of my FZ-5 that i've had for about a year (give or take). Please, if anyone is looking into this pedal i don't recommend it mainly b/c the only setting worthy of playing through is the Fuzz Face setting. Biggest waste of $100 on guitar gear i've gone through. Anyways, i was thinking about a replacement my choices are:

Electro Harmonix Big Muff (I'm a Pumpkins Fan nuff' said)

Fuzz War By Death By Audio

Supersonic Fuzz Gun By Death By Audio

Zvex Fuzz Factory

Obviously i'm open to other suggestions, anything that is really heavy with a lot of sustain will do.

Thanks.

BTW, i'm not really into the Fender Blender, not my style.

Well it all depends on what you want out of a fuzz, the muff is a very different pedal to the zvex and the DBA stuff. I think you can find a big muff clone that's just plain better than the EHX one. I have a Black arts tone works Pharaoh it's going for a big more of a stoner rock sound than that classic pumpkins sound But check out the BAT LSTR. Huge low end.

I find the fuzz war a bit to "nasty" for my tastes. if you want a pedal that you are going to use every day go for the muff (or variation of the muff) if you want a more unique sound go for the zvex.

the BYOC muff is good, apparently. im into the sounds you describe (im a massive pumpkins fan also), and i use a zoom ultrafuzz. theyre rare as rocking-horse sh!t, but sound so dense and thick. very versatile, can do the heavily compressed, boomy, muffy stuff, or can be more of a heavy distortion, or it can be used for lighter tones too. and does all the craziness of those boutique fuzzes that people pay silly money for. got a built in noise gate too, which can be used for corrective and creative purposes.

on a cheaper note the behringer superfuzz can do pumpkins sounds. or at least billy corgan thinks so anyway - he posted a pic of one on their faceb**k page a while ago with the caption "new weapon of choice", or something to that effect.

you tried a boss ds2? under the right amp conditions, it can get quite siamese dream-like.

the BYOC muff is good, apparently. im into the sounds you describe (im a massive pumpkins fan also), and i use a zoom ultrafuzz. theyre rare as rocking-horse sh!t, but sound so dense and thick. very versatile, can do the heavily compressed, boomy, muffy stuff, or can be more of a heavy distortion, or it can be used for lighter tones too. and does all the craziness of those boutique fuzzes that people pay silly money for. got a built in noise gate too, which can be used for corrective and creative purposes.

on a cheaper note the behringer superfuzz can do pumpkins sounds. or at least billy corgan thinks so anyway - he posted a pic of one on their faceb**k page a while ago with the caption "new weapon of choice", or something to that effect.

you tried a boss ds2? under the right amp conditions, it can get quite siamese dream-like.

But for just a little bit more cash you can get some really killer pedals, i went through through the whole cheap pedal thing for ages. I ended up just having to replace my entire pedal board a few times over because I was never happy with the tones. spend a bit of cash then you will never have to worry about it. behringer have very poor build quality I don't recommend them, they are not true bypass and break after about a month.

Thanks for the feedback,

Honestly, i have 2 Boss pedals and I don't particularly dig either of them. The DS-1 I can put up with but, the FZ-5 (as stated above) is a pile of crap with a decent fuzz face setting. I'm kinda skeptical to try out the DS-2 due to my recent let-downs by Boss pedals. I would get a big muff pi but i've heard it's not that loud so i'd probably just use it when recording, i'm leaning towards the Fuzz Gun live. There's also a new Zvex fuzz pedal with a therimin-like controller, any thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback,

Honestly, i have 2 Boss pedals and I don't particularly dig either of them. The DS-1 I can put up with but, the FZ-5 (as stated above) is a pile of crap with a decent fuzz face setting. I'm kinda skeptical to try out the DS-2 due to my recent let-downs by Boss pedals. I would get a big muff pi but i've heard it's not that loud so i'd probably just use it when recording, i'm leaning towards the Fuzz Gun live. There's also a new Zvex fuzz pedal with a therimin-like controller, any thoughts?

I've had about 5 boss pedal, apart from the DD7 and PS-5 they have all been very lame. anyways, Muffs are good for recording with if you have time to EQ in post production my problem with them is they sound muddy live. I've never played a fuzz gun so i just don't know, find a store that stocks them and just go have a play. as much as i can give you advice it's really about what You like.