Sign in to follow this  
eminoraddnine

Jazzmaster mod question

So I have a Blacktop Jazzmaster (a lower end model Fender put out a couple years ago). Frankly, it's not the best :oops:. The humbucker in the bridge position is OK at best and if I play to hard (which I tend to do all the time). The strings pop out and bridge screws undo themselves which is annoying mid-gig.

So I was wonder what some of you think is the best replacement humbucker I could get for a decent price, and what replacement bridge is good for someone who plays really hard like me? :mrgreen:

Mastery bridge would be best, but a Mustang bridge might work ok for you. :)

as far as humbuckers, you're gonna have to figure that out alone.

It depends on what kind of output you're looking for, I have a Slash Alnico II and a Super Distortion (hot output pickups) and they work great for tone for me particularly because I play with boosted mids and highs. So if you want a hot output HB I'd recommend those for sure.

as for a bridge, Mustang bridges tend to work well and are fairly cheap and easy to come by (AllParts, ebay etc)

I've tried a bunch of them on my Jaguar, and I'd recommend a Mastery or a Tune-O-Matic (suprisingly I've never had that problem with that bridge, not sure why.) or if you just want to do things really basic and cheap just fix it with some tape :D

GAFFA TAPE FIXES ALL SINS ;)

So I have a Blacktop Jazzmaster (a lower end model Fender put out a couple years ago). Frankly, it's not the best :oops:. The humbucker in the bridge position is OK at best and if I play to hard (which I tend to do all the time). The strings pop out and bridge screws undo themselves which is annoying mid-gig.

So I was wonder what some of you think is the best replacement humbucker I could get for a decent price, and what replacement bridge is good for someone who plays really hard like me? :mrgreen:

I have one as well. I have the exact same problem with the bridge. I found that a little dab of gorilla glue will keep the pieces from unscrewing themselves. 

I am going to be putting a Seymour Duncan invader in the bridge in the near future. 

Does anyone have any suggestions a replacement for the stock 90?

if you have a file, and some super glue, i would just suggest grooving the saddles for the strings, and then once the bridge is setup, super glueing the grub screws in place, or use loctite. only thing with super glue is, you are going to want to use gel super glue, the normal stuff is too watery and will run all over the place. and human sweat is one of the only things that will actually break down super glue and cause it to get gummy.