The Jagmaster

Someone help me about getting a Mustang?

Oh, and just for the record,

I got my mail back from the custom shop today, they said they currently dont offer mustangs, HOWEVER, they advise to keep an eye on the NAMM show next february because "something similar may or may not be released" ;-)

i'm liking the sound of this :mrgreen:

• Like 1

Hey, I'm in the same situation as you, wanting a Competition Mustang 1969 Lake Placid Blue with matching headstock but finding it extremely hard in the UK.

I actually prefer the Lake Placid Blue when it has aged (greened), all well and good if you can find a vintage but alas they are expensive and rare.

So, I'm contemplating going for a Ocean Turquiose Metallic '73 reissue... it pretty much ticks all the boxes right?

http://www.ebay.co.u...ht_5749wt_701

This ebay seller seems to be the only stockist I can find from Japan who will ship to the UK, I've enquired with the major guitar shops here, PMT and GAK.com, both of which say they have contacted Fender distributors directly and they cannot source a Made in Japan guitar for customers in the UK.

Or, yes the other option is to get the Kurt Cobain reissue (http://www.guitargui...=11122910332758), although this doesn't have the matching headstock and to be honest I'm not sure I like the striking blueness and the bridge humbucker. A positive point though is that this is Poplar as opposed to the basswood of the '73 reissue, although I'm not to sure how much this really matters...

EDIT: FYI - http://fenderjapan.co.jp/mg73co.html - the official Fender Japan site has the MG73/CO (Comp Mustang w/ matching headstock) priced at 99750 Yen = £800 :) - so the ebay price is not too bad at all at ~£870.

Cheapest option of course is to go for a reissue in Olympic White ala In Utero - http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=07111309445129

Anyway...options...

Cheers.

Dee

Just to be pedantic the In Utero mustangs were sonic blue witha a tort guard but the stage lights often made them appear white

True BigMuffStang, although I'm not a fan of the sonic blue, I am a fan of how it appeared under stage lights though...white :)

Hey, I'm in the same situation as you, wanting a Competition Mustang 1969 Lake Placid Blue with matching headstock but finding it extremely hard in the UK.

I actually prefer the Lake Placid Blue when it has aged (greened), all well and good if you can find a vintage but alas they are expensive and rare.

So, I'm contemplating going for a Ocean Turquiose Metallic '73 reissue... it pretty much ticks all the boxes right?

http://www.ebay.co.u...ht_5749wt_701

This ebay seller seems to be the only stockist I can find from Japan who will ship to the UK, I've enquired with the major guitar shops here, PMT and GAK.com, both of which say they have contacted Fender distributors directly and they cannot source a Made in Japan guitar for customers in the UK.

Or, yes the other option is to get the Kurt Cobain reissue (http://www.guitargui...=11122910332758), although this doesn't have the matching headstock and to be honest I'm not sure I like the striking blueness and the bridge humbucker. A positive point though is that this is Poplar as opposed to the basswood of the '73 reissue, although I'm not to sure how much this really matters...

EDIT: FYI - http://fenderjapan.co.jp/mg73co.html - the official Fender Japan site has the MG73/CO (Comp Mustang w/ matching headstock) priced at 99750 Yen = £800 :) - so the ebay price is not too bad at all at ~£870.

Cheapest option of course is to go for a reissue in Olympic White ala In Utero - http://www.guitargui...=07111309445129

Anyway...options...

Cheers.

Dee

That's one beautiful Mustang...and I don't usually like racing stripes. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Japan-73-Reissue-Mustang-guitar-MG73-CO-/251123051997?_trksid=p4340.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D1641876407569998036%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26#ht_5749wt_701 I'd go for that one.

Cheers,

I knew about the japanese ones for a long time, I just feel like they're overpriced for what they are, and because of where theyre getting shipped from, the import taxes will be really high. Thanks for the effort though! :)

A few things have come up and I'm either going to probably end up with a mesa simul295 power amp someones selling. After all, whats a good guitar through a bad rig? :P

I knew about the japanese ones for a long time, I just feel like they're overpriced for what they are, and because of where theyre getting shipped from, the import taxes will be really high. Thanks for the effort though! :)

A few things have come up and I'm either going to probably end up with a mesa simul295 power amp someones selling. After all, whats a good guitar through a bad rig? :P

Cool Jagmaster...Yep, import taxes all in will be around £200 I reckon so true its getting pricey! (~£1100)

Maybe you could tell me... is there any difference in the components (apart from the wood) at all the with '73 reissue compared to the Kurt Cobain signature?

I'm probably going to either settle with the £700 Olympic White for now and wait for a vintage '69 to pop up *calls shotgun*! :)

EDIT: How much are we talking roughly for a vintage '69?

Cheers

Cool Jagmaster...Yep, import taxes all in will be around £200 I reckon so true its getting pricey! (~£1100)

Maybe you could tell me... is there any difference in the components (apart from the wood) at all the with '73 reissue compared to the Kurt Cobain signature?

I'm probably going to either settle with the £700 Olympic White for now and wait for a vintage '69 to pop up *calls shotgun*! :)

EDIT: How much are we talking roughly for a vintage '69?

Cheers

the cobain signature mustangs are based on the 69 reissues, not the 73, since 69 is when fender started the competition mustangs and kurt had one of those as well as a bunch of the japanese 69 reissues.

the cobain signature mustangs are based on the 69 reissues, not the 73, since 69 is when fender started the competition mustangs and kurt had one of those as well as a bunch of the japanese 69 reissues.

Yes Redman I'm aware of that...Question still stands, what are the differences between the '73 and '69 reissue apart from the wood?

Yes Redman I'm aware of that...Question still stands, what are the differences between the '73 and '69 reissue apart from the wood?

If im not mistaken, both the '69 and '73 reissues use basswood. differences come in minor things such as differing colors available. also the fact that according to fender japan, they didn't do the competition mustangs in the 69 reissues, only the 73.

If im not mistaken, both the '69 and '73 reissues use basswood. differences come in minor things such as differing colors available. also the fact that according to fender japan, they didn't do the competition mustangs in the 69 reissues, only the 73.

which is interested since if Im not mistaken 73 mustangs didnt have matching headstocks? oh well, its the japanese, they make some awesome guitars :P unfortunately not easy to get hold of -.-

Hi guys

Im new on here, but I do have one of the Japanese 73 competeion Mustangs in old lake placid blue with matching headstock and am thinking of letting it go through Ebay. I bought it for my son in 2008, he wanted the same guitar as Kurt Cobain so I ordered one from Japan. He now only plays hollow body guitars.

I agree with the person who said that the import duty is a killer, I had to pay it over £200 and 100 shipping costs. What a beautiful guitar though.

I would be looking for around £850 + shipping from Ireland

If anyone is interested let me know and I will list it on Ebay and put link here.

just get this

107716099_th.jpg 107716099 SOLIDBODY ELECTRIC

VINTAGE FENDER MUSTANG 70S COMP BLUE WC

icon_4.gif

Details »

Guitars Guitar Center Raleigh Raleigh, North Carolina 27604 919-872-0331 View Store's Used Inventory

Contact Store Now Only

$1,899.99

GUITARS | SOLIDBODY ELECTRIC Available In: location.gifRaleigh Telephone: phone.gif 919-872-0331 Manager: contact.gif Eli Higginbotham VINTAGE FENDER MUSTANG 70S COMP BLUE WC

store_inventory.png