First off, I already own a ds-1 and it sounds ok to me. I'm looking to buy a new pedal, along with a few other things. My question is should I get the ds-2 or the big muff? I have never played either and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they're like. Does the ds-2 sound the same as the ds-1? I don't want to buy the same pedal for $60 more.

I think I'm going with the big muff now, and the ds-2 later when I have more money. Right now I'm getting a small clone, a squier fat strat, and a lot of extras with this and I've reached my limit of $270.

the DS-2 is pretty good for some things, but sounds awful for others. Its essentially a DS1 with an extra voicing added, and the extra voicing sucks.

It sounds like a DS-1 to an extent, but it sounds different to me on the lower tone settings.

Id get a big muff, for the sake of a more varied, thicker sound.

I own both and I probably use the big muff more than the DS-2, but nothing beats a DS-1. I own a tonne of distortions, and always keep coming back to that. I guess they just got it right :D

the DS-2 is pretty good for some things, but sounds awful for others. Its essentially a DS1 with an extra voicing added, and the extra voicing sucks.

It sounds like a DS-1 to an extent, but it sounds different to me on the lower tone settings.

Id get a big muff, for the sake of a more varied, thicker sound.

I own both and I probably use the big muff more than the DS-2, but nothing beats a DS-1. I own a tonne of distortions, and always keep coming back to that. I guess they just got it right :-grin

Thats like my DS1 is one of the taiwanese ones that most people hate, and the distortion was really harsh, so i removed the d4 and d5 diodes and now its got more of a crunch that i love.

Thats like my DS1 is one of the taiwanese ones that most people hate, and the distortion was really harsh, so i removed the d4 and d5 diodes and now its got more of a crunch that i love.

I have a really old silver screw and a new(ish) one thats about 6/7 years old (dont know where from) but I prefer the newer one.

I guess its hard to have a preference, you've just gotta feel out the sweet spots for your settings and your rig, so mines about 2o'clock for the modern and about 12-3 on the silver screw, but thats just what works best for me.

either way, if he gets a DS2 or Big Muff, you're getting a quality pedal that are pretty much indestructable and you're gonna have to fiddle around with them a little.

cant go wrong man! :P

I have a really old silver screw and a new(ish) one thats about 6/7 years old (dont know where from) but I prefer the newer one.

I guess its hard to have a preference, you've just gotta feel out the sweet spots for your settings and your rig, so mines about 2o'clock for the modern and about 12-3 on the silver screw, but thats just what works best for me.

either way, if he gets a DS2 or Big Muff, you're getting a quality pedal that are pretty much indestructable and you're gonna have to fiddle around with them a little.

cant go wrong man! :P

alot of people think the japanese made DS1s are superior but i got my little junk box where i want it,had it for 6 years and still works like a champ so no need to change it right?

alot of people think the japanese made DS1s are superior but i got my little junk box where i want it,had it for 6 years and still works like a champ so no need to change it right?

If it aint broke, dont fix it. ;)

its the 'industry standard' for a reason, the ds1 just works. metal, grunge, blues, just does it perfect. Plus theyre built like tanks, I've only ever broken 1 boss pedal, but that was only an input. Theyre like Hiscox cases, you could do anything to them and they'd survive.

I guess if you're looking for another one the DS2 is the best move, but the BigMuff is a different ballpark completely. It really depends what you want from it.

I use my DS2 live mostly as a 'solo' pedal to boost the signal a bit, or on some really loud songs we play, or covers because its a similar tone to the DS1 if you find the similar spots on the tone setting. However, if you want another different sound altogether, the BigMuff for sure.

*as a side note, if you got the DS2, you'd never use the 'II' setting, it sucks for the majority of things.

I think your concern about it sounding similar can only be sorted by side by side comparison, however, I personally believe that its more your rig than what you use.

You could have a Big Muff into an AC30, and I bet I could make a very simlar sound with a DS1 and a Marshall, youve just gotta play around with the settings a bit.

but hey, I can only help describe what theyre like, only you can make the choice :)