Kurt Cobain 69 Competition build

Hi,

Just joined the forum. My name is Grant and I live in Dundee, Scotland.

I've always been a huge Nirvana fan, since they exploded in the early 90's. Kurt's basically the reason I'm a huge Fender nut!

Anyway, I'm currently working on a Mustang build and was looking for a little advice please. I've never pieced together a guitar before (wiring wise). I have all of the parts on order, including both pickups, pickguard, trem and machine heads, but I still have to purchase a jack and my volume and tone pots. My question is.............which pots should I buy? I hear alot about people upgrading to 500K's, but I have no idea what they do or if they are suitable for this guitar?

Here's my work so far.............................................

P1017815.jpg

Recently I also finished this. Luckily the pickguard was already loaded and the only wiring I had to do was solder the jack.

P1017816.jpg

Earnie... you mean this guy?

5626176408_7caa3ca333_z.jpg

DSC09565 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

In all serious though, got for a sound that you like. Try 500ks. If you like them, keep them. If you want brighter, go 1meg. (Like Kurts Jaguar.) If 500k is too bright, take it down to 250k. :) Pots are cheap and easy to change on Mustangs and Jags because of them being on a seperate plate. :) Don't even have to take strings off.

I don't think brands make much of a difference with pots and such. Pots influence the sound of a guitar a lot. With a bridge humbucker, I would try 500k. If too bassy, go to 1meg. Too bright, turn the tone pot down a bit. If still too bright, go 250k. :)

I don't think brands make much of a difference with pots and such. Pots influence the sound of a guitar a lot. With a bridge humbucker, I would try 500k. If too bassy, go to 1meg. Too bright, turn the tone pot down a bit. If still too bright, go 250k. :)

exactly, get a set of each, try them out.

Thanks again. Just remembered I have 3 500K pots from an old squier project. I'll give them a go.

This is a great little site. I actually used to own a Jag-stang, but had to sell it to fund a trip.

I'll be sure to update this post with my progress. Think I'm going to have to have a custom decal made up, as I can't find the white fender lettering anywhere:(

Thanks again. Just remembered I have 3 500K pots from an old squier project. I'll give them a go.

This is a great little site. I actually used to own a Jag-stang, but had to sell it to fund a trip.

I'll be sure to update this post with my progress. Think I'm going to have to have a custom decal made up, as I can't find the white fender lettering anywhere:(

welcome to my world! Ive been looking for a decal too! :(

come to trying to make one on graphic software to sent to someone to make, but I cant get it quite right.

as for pots, I dont really hear a difference in tone, and I went from 1meg on my jag (very sorta on-off without much of a sweep) then went to 250 (more volume i.e, doesnt really clean up whe turned down) and now Im on 500k which is pretty much the characteristics of a 250k being more volume orientated instead of cleaning up, but they give a nice mix between the sweep and the clean, if that makes sense?

on a side note, earnie looks nothing like I imagined!

come to trying to make one on graphic software to sent to someone to make, but I cant get it quite right.

as for pots, I dont really hear a difference in tone, and I went from 1meg on my jag (very sorta on-off without much of a sweep) then went to 250 (more volume i.e, doesnt really clean up whe turned down) and now Im on 500k which is pretty much the characteristics of a 250k being more volume orientated instead of cleaning up, but they give a nice mix between the sweep and the clean, if that makes sense?

the pot difference doesn't clean it up more, the higher the value, the less resistance. a 1meg pot is basically having the full output of the pickup which allows more highs. if you use a 250k with a humbucker, it tends to be alot more muddy. i have experience with this because i had a super distortion in my mustang with 250k pots and my jag has a super distortion with 1 meg and the tone of them was completely different.

I know what you mean! Luckily, I used to be a graphic designer, so making the decal wouldn't be a problem, but printing with white ink would be. Very few places do, the yellow pages being one of them! I found this place down south. Think I'll be sending the neck there........................http://www.simscustom.com/html/00sprayshop_decal.htm

The neck I imported from the US, and is a Jaguar allparts item. My friend owns a mobile car spraying business and was able to match the colour perfectly. :)

Oh, I also own a cool jazzmaster copy. Hope you guys like it.........................

P1017817.jpg

take care about the holes of the control plate. They are too small for some pots like CTS. If they are from a squier i think they match.

if you go with a bridge Hotrail pup, i think 500k is fine.

Maybe you can add an amber tinted lacquer on it. The guitar will look more greeny like the kurt stang in Smells video.

I'm going to do it on my sonic blue mustang (the one on my avatar).

I did a parts stang too:

DSCN6076.jpg

i'm selling it, low price, contact me if someone is interested. Best mustang sound i ever played 'cause of th good boby wood quality.

take care about the holes of the control plate. They are too small for some pots like CTS. If they are from a squier i think they match.

Maybe you can add an amber tinted lacquer on it. The guitar will look more greeny like the kurt stang in Smells video.

I did a parts stang too:

DSCN6076.jpg

i'm selling it, low price, contact me if someone is interested. Best mustang sound i ever played 'cause of th good boby wood quality.

Nice! I always think you appreciate a guitar more when you build it yourself too.:)

I did a parts stang too:

DSCN6076.jpg

out of curiosity, how much you letting it go for? and are you UK?

I know what you mean! Luckily, I used to be a graphic designer, so making the decal wouldn't be a problem, but printing with white ink would be. Very few places do, the yellow pages being one of them! I found this place down south. Think I'll be sending the neck there........................http://www.simscusto...yshop_decal.htm

The neck I imported from the US, and is a Jaguar allparts item. My friend owns a mobile car spraying business and was able to match the colour perfectly. :)

Oh, I also own a cool jazzmaster copy. Hope you guys like it.........................

P1017817.jpg

Oh, and if you end up designing one, will you put the template up somewhere? that'd help a tonne! haha

I cant get the thickness of the lines right. I tried tracing the logo from Kurts headstock onto 2d design tools, and then tried colouring it in photoshop. It didnt look as good as expected haha.

where did you get the body from? Warmoth or somewhere? or is it one of those competition body blanks off of ebay that seem to be floating around a bit?

Oh, and if you end up designing one, will you put the template up somewhere? that'd help a tonne! haha

I cant get the thickness of the lines right. I tried tracing the logo from Kurts headstock onto 2d design tools, and then tried colouring it in photoshop. It didnt look as good as expected haha.

where did you get the body from? Warmoth or somewhere? or is it one of those competition body blanks off of ebay that seem to be floating around a bit?

Will do. It's a genuine Fender Jap reissue, finished in Dark LPB. Yep, ebay purchase! I almost bought a complete one a few years back with matching headstock, then I discovered that those ones were normal LPB. Far too light to match Kurt's. I realise Dark LPB is wrong too, but its a very close match to Competition Burgundy.

The japanese ones with the headstocks your on about are pretty off the colour of kurt's since its the japanese version/interpretation of LPB, not US LPB.

Looks like you got the US shade (dark) which should age the same. The reason kurts looks different shades in different lights is cause of the laquer and the aging.

Grant from Dundee, Scotland, I think you've answered my question on another thread. This is EXACTLY what I was thinking of doing, white decal and all! haha :D

How much has it cost you so far? I may buy parts soon, that is if my saving for a vintage one doesnt get in the way (although Im leaning toward a vintage Coronado right now)

The japanese ones with the headstocks your on about are pretty off the colour of kurt's since its the japanese version/interpretation of LPB, not US LPB.

Looks like you got the US shade (dark) which should age the same. The reason kurts looks different shades in different lights is cause of the laquer and the aging.

Grant from Dundee, Scotland, I think you've answered my question on another thread. This is EXACTLY what I was thinking of doing, white decal and all! haha :-grin

How much has it cost you so far? I may buy parts soon, that is if my saving for a vintage one doesnt get in the way (although Im leaning toward a vintage Coronado right now)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GcxVTFWRwww/Sva7BoTW7OI/AAAAAAAAAEs/Xv_P6LaNYGU/s1600/mustangbody1.jpg if you look there you see the body being that greenish that kurts was, but where the pickguard was removed you can see the same shade of LPB that the japanese ones were made of. its just the clearcoat yellowing.

http://1.bp.blogspot...ustangbody1.jpg if you look there you see the body being that greenish that kurts was, but where the pickguard was removed you can see the same shade of LPB that the japanese ones were made of. its just the clearcoat yellowing.

Yes, but as Daniel has said, the japanese have 2 versions of LPB. Dark LPB (Think its called OLB) and normal LPB. Their standard version of LPB is very light, which was what the used on the matching headstock versions. Their reissues with lacquered headstocks were all Dark LPB.

Grant from Dundee, Scotland, I think you've answered my question on another thread. This is EXACTLY what I was thinking of doing, white decal and all! haha :-grin

Thanks Daniel, so far around £300. All I have to pay for now is the headstock logo.

Thanks Daniel, so far around £300. All I have to pay for now is the headstock logo.

£300? wow thats pretty good. I may do something similar soon then. I'll see how yours works first though ;)

I think its gonna look AWESOME by the time you're done. :P

and the domestic japanese market have OLB (lighter shade of LPB), they have standard LPB (darker) and OTM(ocean metallic turquoise) which is lighter than the others. I believe OLB and OTM are just for the domestic japanese market and arent availabe anywhere else unless you get them off of ebay or somewhere.

I was considering a japanese OLB with the headstock, but I hated the fact the logo wasnt cream/white. :( nothings ever perfect though right?