Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
HNB

Jag-Stang Project FINISHED Pg. 4

Recommended Posts

No markings on it, so hard to say. It does have blue wires.

Just put on the fourth coat of clear. Tomorrow I will try to get in a coat in the morning and one at night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated pictures from clear coating just now. Half way point. Two more cans of clear to go on this body and then it can dry.

7990567884_a818afc596.jpg

DSC05924 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

7990559181_336361eb9c.jpg

DSC05927 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

7990568422_a14dc3be15.jpg

DSC05929 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

7990568640_1a94dc2e57.jpg

DSC05931 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

7990568932_60c532d742.jpg

DSC05933 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

7990569182_2ec1de8807.jpg

DSC05940 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

7990560337_de5458789a.jpg

DSC05944 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After sketching a Japanese demon (oni) in the pickup cavity, I went to work this morning on wetsanding. This pic shows the lower area that I sanded with 1500 and the part I hadn't done yet in case any of you are trying your first finish and want to see the difference. Don't worry about it being cloudy. That shines back up when you polish it.

8060676241_d3d0f505c1.jpg

DSC06185 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

See the little flecks of shine? You don't want those. Keep going until it is all satin.

8060679766_9660fe0354.jpg

DSC06186 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

8060680106_2882ba7ba8.jpg

DSC06188 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once I finished with 1500 and the flecks were gone, I did 2500. (To try to minimize any sanding swirls.) When that was done, it looked like this.

8060680436_34189bfe9f.jpg

DSC06189 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

8060677795_0edd167c0a.jpg

DSC06190 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

8060678185_7220fd7bb0.jpg

DSC06193 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

8060678535_56439ce9e2.jpg

DSC06194 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Then it was polish time. (I use car polishing compound you can get from Autozone.)

8060678911_bf3f211573.jpg

DSC06195 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

8060679285_1f3662ae2a.jpg

DSC06196 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

8060683100_a3c3eb4fcd.jpg

DSC06199 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next I installed the bridge cups (I had to slightly enlarge the holes) and then I screwed down the tremolo. (Oh I also drilled a bridge ground hole and put a ground wire in.)

8060682665_c84f84737c.jpg

DSC06211 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

8060685984_864e65ac2a.jpg

DSC06213 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Then I installed the Musicmaster neck. Fit great.

8060683443_c9f88c62eb.jpg

DSC06214 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Here it is with a Mustang pickguard on it. (Not using it, just to get a better idea of how it looks.)

8060686690_53e7076eae.jpg

DSC06216 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Here you can see where the Mustang guard's curve isn't deep enough for the body.

8060684239_a887f18a02.jpg

DSC06217 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

I need to get my custom guard made and I also need a Mustang control plate. I think I need a input jack and a blending pot as well. Progress!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't stress how great that finish came up, it looks even better with the clear. So unique. What electronics are you using again? I know the mini-hum, but are you going with a second pickup or just the mini-hum?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mini humbucker in the neck and an 80's strat bridge pickup. :)

Nice, that kind of has a Ramone's type vibe. I believe Johnny played a Mosrite Mark II with a bridge single-coil and a neck mini-hum.

Awesome man. You do damn well at making sure your new builds aren't like anything you've ever had before. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I try to make each a little different so each has its own sound when I can. :) Makes them each special and more unique.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking 500ks because the mini humbucker and single coil are relatively low output. :)

Nice, i know you had used 1 meg pots before with high output HBs so i was curious as to what ones you got or used that fit into the mustangs control plate...been thinking of putting some in mine but i know the whole us/metric thing screws it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the holes have been small in the plate, I just drill them larger with a hand drill. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the holes have been small in the plate, I just drill them larger with a hand drill. :)

what size drill bit? I'm really wanting to put some in my mustang because even with the 500k pots, any pup i put in is really muddy compared to my jaguar which has the 1 megs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...