Can anyone tell if this 1966 Fender Mustang a fake or not?

Following is the ebay link, I am looking for a vintage mustang, and this guy lives kinda close to me. Just want to know if this is a fake or not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120995165489

Thanks a lot for the help!!!

What are you wanting to know about it? It has age to it, thats clear to see by both the headstock and the shot of the pickguard off the body.

Following is the ebay link, I am looking for a vintage mustang, and this guy lives kinda close to me. Just want to know if this is a fake or not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120995165489

Thanks a lot for the help!!!

Its definitely a real Mustang. The only way to be 100% certain that it is an original 1966 would be to look at the neck date, and even then that would only confirm the date of the neck. I will say that it appears vintage to me as well judging by the aging. The checking and discoloration on the finish and the discoloration of the headstock appear to be natural. If it isn't, it was a seriously good relic job. If you live pretty close, I would recommend asking to come see the guitar first. If that is not an option due to the time left on the auction, I would ask the seller to send you some extra photos.

Looking at the photo of the pickguard off the body, i can see a "66" on the pickup so yea i'd say its legit, or a really REALLY well done relic job.

Agreed, the final consensus is that is extremely likely that this is a real 1966 Mustang. As HNB pointed out, the dates on the pickups match and everything else on the guitar seems to be typical of that era of Mustangs. And as redman said, it is technically possible that this was relic'd to appear vintage, but it is highly unlikely that someone would remember to replicate every last little detail like that (i.e. the date on the pickups, etc.) As much work as it would take, they would have forgotten something.

I would bank on it being 100% authentic. It is really a sweet little guitar that looks like it has quite a history and story behind it. It is also a transitional Mustang, as 1966 had CBS just getting solid feet on the ground with Fender Guitars. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the parts on this guitar are from pre-CBS Fender surplus.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Alldatjazz
      Hello everyone thanks for reading. I recently came across a Mustang that is supposedly a 1982, but it's very difficult to find info on these years. Can anyone tell me some tell-tale signs? I have a few pics of it that I will attach. 
      Serial: R018034 . Theres conflicting info on this. According to a mustang history page, that means it's 1982, but according to a decoder, it's a 2004 reissue?
      I can't figure out how to upload pics through here? So here's a link to the imgur gallery
      https://imgur.com/gallery/jNs2yUg
      If anyone can help, that'd be awesome and I'd really appreciate it.

• By Kuub
      Hi guys!

I've got a Fender mustang competition from 1972.?
      When I bought the guitar there was no tremolo arm.
      I bought a new one online, which fits on a '65, but it doesn't fit.... (https://www.thomann.de/nl/fender_mustang_tremarm.htm)
      I measured the parts: the tremolo arm is close to Ø5mm (around Ø4,95mm), the bridge hole is around Ø4,7mm.
      Is the hole size correct, or should it be Ø5mm? Or do I need a thinner arm?

Hope someone can help me.

Greetings,
      Willem
    • By SpookyMr
      Hi. I am planning on modding my Surf Green Squire vintage modified jaguar to have 2 4 wire humbuckers, a three way toggle switch, and a coil tap on the neck pickup, however I want to keep the rhythm circuit and low cut switch. (basically similar to a Kurt Cobain jag except only master volume and master tone, neck coil tap, and keeping the low cut switch) I'm 17 and I'm not very good with wiring, also jag wiring is especially confusing. Would anyone be able to help me figure out a wiring diagram for this, or at least help explain it to me? Are there any other mods I should try for this guitar? 
    • By Jet
      I have a fender 1969 reissue mustang in white and I would like to get it painted in Sonic blue. Does anyone know where to get some, I am looking for the same sonic blue that Kurt Cobain's mustang was in.