MikeV7

"Rape Me" clean tone?

My current is really, really simple.

I have more, but this is what I use for recording:

2011 Kurt Cobain signature Jaguar

1984 MIJ Stratocaster

Peavey XXX 2x12 (godlike distortion, sounds huge when double tracked)

Fender M-80 (Beautiful cleans)

Electro-Harmonix Small Clone (used in combination with the Fender)

Vox Wah

I saw Dinosaur Jr. last night man, and I really really want a wah pedal haha. They rocked the #### out of a really small venue in Philly. J ran his sunburst Jazzy through 3 half stacks, it was so loud and so ####ing awesome! :) Sorry to change the subject so much, but I like talking about gear with people. Anyone use the new Digitech Whammy 5? They went back to the Gen 1 logo on the pedal and its getting killer reviews. It's awfully expensive though.

I agree with everything you just said.

Most of the first songs I learned on guitar were also Kurt's creations. Even though they are purposefully simple, that guy was a serious songwriter and my mind does wonder whether or not Kurt was a better guitarist / musician then he let himself be perceived as, and what he may have went on to create had he not passed away. I hope everyone on this forum agrees, regardless of their opinion of Kurt, he should be looked at as one of many musicians that has shown that regardless of technical skill you have or choose to show, you are allowed to create and can still make music.

Most of the first songs I learned on guitar were also Kurt's creations. Even though they are purposefully simple, that guy was a serious songwriter and my mind does wonder whether or not Kurt was a better guitarist / musician then he let himself be perceived as, and what he may have went on to create had he not passed away. I hope everyone on this forum agrees, regardless of their opinion of Kurt, he should be looked at as one of many musicians that has shown that regardless of technical skill you have or choose to show, you are allowed to create and can still make music.

He was definitely getting better, I mean look at the progression from Bleach to Nevermind to In Utero to "You Know You're Right". He's definitely a prime example of someone who let the rhythm of the music show emotion over some flashy over the top guitar solo or technical thing.

That being said the gear i use are a 94-95 mustang, a 97 jagstang, the cobain jag, a squier strat, an SX tele, running through my ds1 pedal that i modded by removing the d4 and d5 diodes to remove some of the hiss, an EHX small clone and thats all plugged into a 1988 fender princeton chorus or my kustom kg100fx half stack. With those i'm able to get a kurt-like tone which, when i play Nirvana stuff its clearly reccognizable, yet i can still play other stuff like AIC, The Offspring, green day, whatever and it work for everything.

hello there,

I just taken a MIM fender jaguar classic player HH and a fender champion 5 w.

I'm desperately trying to reproduce that fantastic intro sound, but not lucky. Can he have used an effect that escapes us? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

frank

Well there is more than likely compression, eq, etc on the studio track, but as far as Kurt having any effects on his guitars, no. He used either the Jag, or a Univox on this song, plugged into his Twin Reverb. The only pedals in his signal chain were as follows. Guitar-DS2-Echoflanger(vintage 70s)-Small Clone-Amp. 

I think it is likely. I have a twin reverb and it gets that sound well. If you use a Super Distortion or a JB with 1meg pots, you get that sound pretty easily. His Jaguar with the humbuckers still had 1meg pots. I think that helps make that trebley chime.

for me, i can get the kurt clean tone really easily by shooting about 3 packs of dope and inbetween nodding out playing really sloppy.

i keed, i keed.

i have a 70's peavey musician, i run it thru a carvin 4x12. don't have any pedals anymore, just my old teleguar, and my jag-stang.

• Like 1

Alot of it has to do with the Twin Reverb and those two guitars. I think the only other electric used on the album was the 69 Comp Stang on Dumb. 

I've been chasing the sound for this album while building my own sound as well and discovered the Echoflanger (or Poly Chorus - they were the same pedal) played a huge role in colouring his tone. While messing with the Poly Chorus' Filter Matrix setting, both layered or single takes bearing a certain wash about them, and the hi hi pitched feedback heard throughout the record, as if on cue, can be found and eerily resemble those tones heard on FFWHHROS, RFUS, Tourette's, Scentless Apprentice, Sappy, MV, and IHMAWTD. Here's one little clip of me filling in for Kurt's jaguar with a MIM Jaguar Blacktop HH - found at a pawn shop in East Vancouver by myself last month. 

Ok, I can't attach the raw file. I'll post a YouTube shortly.