Noob needing advice on Jag build

Hello everyone, I'm new here and glad to be a part of the boards.

I've been working on a Jag build recently. I got the neck and walnut body from Warmoth. I've stained the body and now I'm ready to get into the electronics. I don't want the standard Jag pots and switching, as I'm putting a Lace Sensor Blue in the Neck and a Red in the bridge. I've never really used the rhythm part of the Jaguar so I was wondering about any common mods to the switching/pots there. I know I want it to have series/parallel and phase switching. Oh, and a kill switch for the stutter stuff. Anybody done this sort of thing on their Jaguars that can help me out?

Also, is there a place to get custom made chrome control plates?

Hey, to start out what kinda neck/fingerboard wood are you using, just curious. In terms of the mods some people like to put a toggle switch instead of the three switches that control each pickup separately. As for the series/ parallel, the upper assemble controls the neck pickup and the volume knob & tone knob near the jack control the bridge pickup. I really don't know much about wiring jags other than that so can't help you there sorry. I tried looking online for custom control plates and really didn't find anything, sorry i couldn't really help you that much but good luck with your guitar build. And post pics of it when you're done

Hey, to start out what kinda neck/fingerboard wood are you using, just curious. In terms of the mods some people like to put a toggle switch instead of the three switches that control each pickup separately. As for the series/ parallel, the upper assemble controls the neck pickup and the volume knob & tone knob near the jack control the bridge pickup. I really don't know much about wiring jags other than that so can't help you there sorry. I tried looking online for custom control plates and really didn't find anything, sorry i couldn't really help you that much but good luck with your guitar build. And post pics of it when you're done

The knobs on the upper control are only for when the rhythm circuit is on, otherwise the lower controls work on both pickups.

The body is walnut, the neck is mahogany with some sort of weirdo fretboard wood that I can't remember. I found this diagram:

JagSeriesMod.jpg

The knobs on the upper control are only for when the rhythm circuit is on, otherwise the lower controls work on both pickups.

This. If you kind of just want a standard guitar switching with nothing fancy, I would also agree just put a toggle switch and either leave the top switches there unhooked unless you wanna expand past the standard guitar switching and figure something out with phase controls and ####. Either way, there is a lot of switches there that you can mess around with!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the middle of wiring this beast right now and it's tying my head in knots. Does anybody know if the 56k resistor on the lead circuit tone control is necessary? Fender's wiring diagram has it but the Seymour Duncan diagram omits it. I don't know what purpose this thing serves.

I'm in the middle of wiring this beast right now and it's tying my head in knots. Does anybody know if the 56k resistor on the lead circuit tone control is necessary? Fender's wiring diagram has it but the Seymour Duncan diagram omits it. I don't know what purpose this thing serves.

Sorry for the delayed response, I've had my head wrapped around a few things as well haha. The 56k resistor on the lead circuit of a Jaguar is a treble bleed design. Similar has been used on vintage Telecasters. What it does essentially is keep the treble frequencies in your sound as you roll off your volume knob. So, overall, it is absolutely not required to have the guitar working correctly. It originally spawned during those old days before a lot of people were using complex pedal boards and effects. They would keep their tone distorted and dirty at all times and then use the volume knob of the guitar to take the dirt off and clean it up, rather than stomping a box. So, when they lowered the volume, that 56k resistor would keep the treble frequencies in their sound without having it sound so dark or so warm.

My advice is: if you use the controls on your guitars ( vol / tone ) often (I highly recommend it as you can come across some awesome tones), I would use the 56k resistor. If you really just have the controls full open (I often do this too, nothing wrong with it), then you could pass on the treble bleed 56k circuitry. Really, it's up to you.