I just bought this '65 mustang and it just seems like an odd beast. I know the original finish has been removed, but there were some other interesting things about it. The headstock matches the serial numbers of '65 mustang, but there is an odd stamp on the backside of the body right near the neck joint that says 3-26-1965. I find it strange that would be printed there after the varnish had been removed. I also know the tremolo bar is new.

here is a link to photos:

thanks!!

The date would never have been stamped there to begin with, and even if it had been, as you've deducted there is no way it would still be there after the finish was removed. If you want to know if the neck is a real one, destring it and take off the neck. On the butt of it, it should have a date stamp and grip shape markings.

The date would never have been stamped there to begin with, and even if it had been, as you've deducted there is no way it would still be there after the finish was removed. If you want to know if the neck is a real one, destring it and take off the neck. On the butt of it, it should have a date stamp and grip shape markings.

Looking at the pictures it looks like the body still has the clearcoat.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By ps___093
      I am routing it to fit Humbuckers,  (SH-4 JB Bridge Humbucker & SH-2 Jazz Model Neck Humbucker)
               changing the bridge to a Mustang one, or something better ( happy to hear any recommendations ) 
                I’ll be using CTS 1 MEG pots for volume and tone, as well as the Orange Drop Capacitor .047uf        ( hopefully this will give it a nice bright tone ? )
            will try and make the top switch a Parallel & Series switch, as well as having the coil splits on the bottom switches.. 

I’d love to hear your opinions on the materials/parts i’m planing on using, and if you have any other suggestions please let me know!

• By Alldatjazz
      Hello everyone thanks for reading. I recently came across a Mustang that is supposedly a 1982, but it's very difficult to find info on these years. Can anyone tell me some tell-tale signs? I have a few pics of it that I will attach. 
      Serial: R018034 . Theres conflicting info on this. According to a mustang history page, that means it's 1982, but according to a decoder, it's a 2004 reissue?
      I can't figure out how to upload pics through here? So here's a link to the imgur gallery
      https://imgur.com/gallery/jNs2yUg
      If anyone can help, that'd be awesome and I'd really appreciate it.

• By Kuub
      Hi guys!

I've got a Fender mustang competition from 1972.?
      When I bought the guitar there was no tremolo arm.
      I bought a new one online, which fits on a '65, but it doesn't fit.... (https://www.thomann.de/nl/fender_mustang_tremarm.htm)
      I measured the parts: the tremolo arm is close to Ø5mm (around Ø4,95mm), the bridge hole is around Ø4,7mm.
      Is the hole size correct, or should it be Ø5mm? Or do I need a thinner arm?

Hope someone can help me.

Greetings,
      Willem
    • By cobain
      Hello, I have a telecaster (Phil pro) neck and a mustang floating bridge, pickups, etc. I want to make a DIY good looking jag-stang but I don't know where can I get blueprints with scale. Help to figure out!