OTM? Competition Mustang

Here come the pictures! Sorry if any of you are on your phones.... ;)

8285248165_22a72a43a4.jpg

IMG_1845 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

Slight flame. Check.

8285247983_945e6745cc.jpg

IMG_1843 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

8285247781_9c8c8bc07b.jpg

IMG_1841 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

8285247671_0efab0cede.jpg

IMG_1840 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

8285247091_f63655376a.jpg

IMG_1831 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

8286305718_b2d744e825.jpg

IMG_1863 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

8285249061_7bfe1b83d4.jpg

IMG_1870 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

8285249213_c589a9870d.jpg

IMG_1873 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

8286306290_720cdc258a.jpg

IMG_1878 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

• Like 2

The color really changes a lot based off of lighting. A LOT. It is kind of crazy. It can go from dark blue, to green, to light blue, to teal, etc depending on the amount of light and if it is yellow or white light.

My only complaints on it are it was advertised as used, but in mint condition. There are a couple small (smaller than a dime) scratch marks by the bottom on the back and by the tummy cut. Not a big deal at all, but not mint. It also has poly checking. (Those lines that go with the seams and grain that you can see at an angle. Some of the pictures show it.) Also not a big deal, but something I would have recommended the seller to mention to avoid dicks trying to get money out of him. I am not bothered by them. If I had paid the $900 plus I see these sometimes go for, I would have been mad, but for $600, no biggie. (Especially with a Fender hard case. I LOVE those things.)

Its been a little while since I've been on here! haha

Thats a nice looking Mustang. I've always wanted one of those since I started playing (some 10 years ago now) and was contemplating a Japanese one but was skeptical about the shipping and the condition. This looks awesome though.

Coincidentally, this last weekend I was down Tin Pan Alley in London and walked into this store called Vintage and Rare, they had a vintage one in...or so it seemed.

Turns out this guy builds custom replicas out of vintage parts. The one I played had a really thick neck (like a les paul junior or a tele) with the skunk stripe, the white logo, and the body looked identical except it had no contours (it was a 65-66 body) . It was all old vintage Mustang parts, and my god it was brilliant. I hate thin necks, so this was perfect, and from a first glance it looks identical too. It also had hot rails in the bridge, and filed down switches with the finish relic'd and faded a little. PERFECT!

Im guessing this guy has to be some Nirvana fan, or possibly just knows what makes an awesome Mustang.

Apparantly he builds about 15-20 per year, but no two Mustangs are the same and all have different feels and looks. That one I played was almost perfect, but it wouldnt stay in tune (probably due to the shop being really warm and the cold door opening every five minutes since it was kept opposite) so a minor issue. And the price of this was £849 which is around the cost of a KC. I would have picked it up then and there, but I bought a La Cabronita Tele (amazing), but I feel I will definitaly be picking one of those up at the next possible chance.

On a seperate note, I enquired a little while ago about a Custom Shop Mustang (a few threads back) and got a response of 'something similar may be available after the NAMM show in february'. So I'm gonna wait and see what happens there first before I decide if I'm gonna get one or not. Would like a vintage replica, but I'd probably try and get one of these if one comes along, its nice to know that they actually are decent and worth the cost!

So yeah, theres a nice little story for ya' ;)

I really dont understand why fender dont open the japanese models up to the world, they could make a KILLING!

although, theres always the NAMM show coming up :P

I know here in the states its because Fender opened the factory in Mexico, and since the quality of japanese Fenders is better than mexican ones, they tried to stop the competition. You can get them anywhere anyway, you just have to have it sent from fender japan, and some, like the 65 reissue were released everywhere, as were the cobain ones which are a 69 reissue with certain mods to them.

I know here in the states its because Fender opened the factory in Mexico, and since the quality of japanese Fenders is better than mexican ones, they tried to stop the competition. You can get them anywhere anyway, you just have to have it sent from fender japan, and some, like the 65 reissue were released everywhere, as were the cobain ones which are a 69 reissue with certain mods to them.

I've been after one for ages through dealers, but the fender UK rep has always said it wasnt possible :(

at least now I've got some money lying around if something comes along :P

LOL I was the only bidder on this auction. I was pretty surprised. Not surprised though that the dealer said it wasn't possible. These have been discontinued for awhile. Only way to get them at the moment is used.

I've been after one for ages through dealers, but the fender UK rep has always said it wasnt possible :(

at least now I've got some money lying around if something comes along :P

I got my 69 stang by going to ishibashi and they had no problem importing it here to the states, even though the 69 wasn't being sold here at all.Instead of going through dealers i just went straight through one of the biggest guitar stores in japan that sells fenders and it got through customs and across the pacific and here in a week which suprised me. as far as them being discontinued, they most likely have some backstock, i mean mine dates back to 94-95 and it was brand new when i got it.