For the neck, either a Mustang or Jaguar neck would be best to go with so you don't have to fuss with changing the scale length.

For bridge, I know that most Jaguar owners change to the Mustang bridge, so you would be good with that.

As far as pickups, it depends on what tone you are into. If you like single-coil's, if you get correct vintage Mustang pickups and not

the new ones that are reissued, they have great Fender tones. Curtis Novak or Chris Klein pickups are good Google searches.

If you are into a hotter tone or are just looking for a similar guitar to what Kurt would have been using, Seymour-Duncan JB in the bridge

and Fender Texas Special in the neck would be good. Hope this helps a bit.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

good question. yea, the ajustomatic would be a better match for a newer 9.5 radius neck.  but if you were going the vintage styled 7.25 radius route you are better off with a mustang bridge. or even a jaguar bridge. that way if you ever decided to chang the radius it would nly take a few mins to radius the bridge via the grub screws.

Thanks guys, I bought a squire mustang neck cheap on ebay as well as a squier tail piece, i was able to buy the jag-stang bridge. As for pickups, I was thinking a Dimarzio super distortion. Would it matter if it's "F-spaced" or not?

Not really, considering the pickup is angled, so the pole pieces don't line up exact anyway, not that it would matter anyway, i had a standard spaced super distiortion in my mustang for ages and that was a straight route and i didn't notice anything off about the sound.

Not really, considering the pickup is angled, so the pole pieces don't line up exact anyway, not that it would matter anyway, i had a standard spaced super distiortion in my mustang for ages and that was a straight route and i didn't notice anything off about the sound.

Thanks! Any suggestions for the single coil? (I'll be buying one when I can afford it.)

Thanks! Any suggestions for the single coil? (I'll be buying one when I can afford it.)

Nah none in particular, i never use the single coil in mine so i just left the stock one in it, i suppose you can find a bridge single coil and use that to give it a bit of a higher output than the regular one has.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm late as hell on this as I have been honeymooning with a Tele and working on an EP. There is really no set rules on what you need. I don't have an F-spaced humbucker either as I would agree with whoever said that since it's angled it won't really make that much of a difference, because either way the strings aren't going to be flush with the polepieces. 

Really the single-coil is preference. A lot of guys don't use it at all. I use it very often so I did invest some money into a good single-coil. Since I wired the pickups on mine differently, I am also able to split the humbucker so that when I use it split with the neck single-coil, it still humcancels and I get single-coil tones without the noise. Again, mine is only wired like this because I use single-coil tones through an already noisy orange boss for rhythm guitar. It's all based on whatever you play. :) Hope you like your JS man.