Should I get a multi effects pedal? If so which one?

hello, Im pretty new here. I was wondering, what is your guys opinions on multi effects pedal. I used to have a Digitech RP350 but i sold it because it just didnt sound good. I currently and using a squier jagmaster with a Dimarzio Super Distortion and a Ibanez Gio with a Seymour Duncan Distortion though a 120 watt Crate half stack. Im wondering, can I use the amp modeling in the multi effects pedal to make the cleans and distortion sound better? Right now the cleans on my amp are kinda bland and mediocre. I also am wanting some effects such as fuzz, dist, chorus, phaser, flanger, and wah. Are there any good multi fx pedals that can meet my needs? My budget is around 300, i can buy used. Im looking at the Digitech RP500, Zoom G5, Line 6 HD 500, Line 6 M13

i personally do not like multi effect units.  generally they have a compressed generic sound and kill alot of the string clarity and character of the intrument. tho, i used to use vintage tube amp stuff, and i was all about tru-bypass effects and straight forward single coil guitars.

i personally believe you are better off building your sound off of one really good amp, and maybe 2 guitars, once you have your perfect loud and clean sound then start adding in the effects you desire, like distortion, or fuzz, or overdrive. then thro in your preferred chorus, flange, phaser, tremolo, revereb, echo/delay, whatever floats your boat.  the multi stuff doesnt do it for me, but that doesn't mean that you may not end up finding that a 500-600 dollar unit works better for you than spending 1000.00 or more on individual units.  altho, i will say, that individual units deffinitly retain thier value better than multi effect units. and can be serviced much easier.  Sometimes when a digital unit decides to stop working, then thats it, there really is nothing you can do for it except buy another one.

• Like 1

Basically everything Rob says is right...

I used to think multi effects were the way to go until i bought a dedicated effects pedal(s), i have never looked back since! If your budget is around 300, then im sure you can get a few decent dedicated effects pedals as long as you dont cheap out on your amp (judging from your OP you have a decent amp and guitar). 

What i did was focus on a sound that i loved from an artist i liked, for example as its sort of a Nirvana board..Nirvana...Go to Guitargeek and see what effects they used and you got your basics...then if you decide to purchase those effects you can play about with them (aswell as your amp settings) until you get the sound that you like. I went with pedals Kurt used but obviously my rig isnt a Nirvana rig, i used his pedals as a template and tried to find a sound that sounded good to me. My rig is Nirvana-ish with my own personal tweaks which is perfect to me!

I own a Zoom G2 which is used as my tuner these days! :) thats the only good feature of my multi effects pedal...i hope this helps.

Its more than that... there's 4 modes...a double attack, chorus, flange and filter matrix. you can do a lot with it and it comes with settings for each mode as a template. You can get some good strange sounds out of it, im sure theres a demo on youtube somewhere. I dont know wheteher its because i havent tweaked it enough but i cant beat the EAX small clone chorus pedal for chourus

i would always recommend a good tube amp over anything else. maybe a few solid state models over the years would make the list. but in reality, the older 70's era bassman head units can still be had for a very good price, especially if you don't mind a bit of rough areas. they are a great clean pallette to put on effects into.

i paid less than 600 for my 68 bassman piggyback, and less than 400 for my bassman ten.

a tube amp will generally last a lifetime as well. as where a digital amp may only be good for about 5-10 years. and you may have to have it serviced, replace certain parts that are comparable to buying a new amp in the first place.

the bassman is a fantastic clean sounding guitar amp(its meant for bass, but....) i messed with the 4x10 hod rod deluxe that a buddy of mine had in a band, i loved it, i kinda want to score a used one at a nice price for myself. its a great amp that has really good headroom and accepts pedals relatively well, and the built in gain section is decent. 

Fender is known for thier crystal clean tube amps.  from what i understand the marshal jvm series is based off of the silverfaced ab165 electronic fender bassman units. im not 100% on that tho.

your best bet, when you are ready to buy an amp, take all of your gear that you use, go to the music store, and try it out, go full bore, if they give you any crap. flash them the cash and let them know you are a srs buyer and not just a wanker trying to show off for his lady friend.

All very good advice, I started off with multi effects and cheap solid state amps. then i got a few more cheap pedals to try and get the sound i was looking for I ended up having to buy everything again because i was never happy with the sound. just save up for a nice fender or even pick up a little marshall combo (tube only! none of the MG crap) I've wasted a hell of a lot of time and money on doing this only now 6-7 years down the track am i happy with my tone. you can play a cheap guitar through a nice amp and it will sound great play a good guitar through a cheap amp and it will always sound nasty.

PS tone is mostly in the finger tips. 

• Like 1

foxyloxy said it best.

a crap guitar thru a good amp will generally be just fine, but a bad amp will always sound baaaadddddd.

and on the same line as that, a crappy multi effects pedal will kill the sound of a good amp, take away all the clarity and.... its all rubbish.

It's my problem with active pickups as well, no tone from the wood of the guitar. good bye soul hello generic sound. 

with a solid body electric guitar, especially a bolt on, you don't hear ANY of the tonal personalities of the wood. NONE. the most you will notice as far as tone, will actually be from your pickups.

thats a good idea, saving up for a nice tube amp, and then building up pedals around it. and most tube amps have the perfect blank pallette for accepting pedals. and most of the newer ones will get nice and over drivin without getting too loud. pretty much anything with a master volume actually.

good luck on your amp searches!

• 2 weeks later...

My issue with multi-effects is that they do a lot of different things average but they don't excel at anything. As far as tube amps go, all of the above mentioned are excellent. I play through a Mesa and a tube pignose but i also own a vox ac-4. That little vox is super. I think if you were on a budget then you could get a little vox and a couple of pedals and it won't break the bank. I also use tech 21 stuff and it's great. I like EHX also. For fuzz and overdrives i like Fredric Effects stuff. I use an old pro co rat often as well but i don't like the newer ones.