'Jazz-Stang' - Even possible?!

http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/CustomBody.aspx?style=17. You might be able to find a 90s one for a good price but its a waiting game man. I got mine for 350 from a local guy on Craigslist who ended up being a big time rich producer and saw that I was a kid that really wanted it. He was asking 500 which I had but he cut me a deal. Mine is a 98 65 reissue

Can anyone answer my question on the neck difference between the mid to late 90's and 00's Jaguars?  How do the 00's ones compare to a Jagstang neck?

The reason I ask is there is an absolutely mint condition Japanese Jaguar on ebay now from 2007-08 for £700.  Thinking of buying.  

I've just been told by my local and highly regarded luthier that a 24" neck would indeed work just fine with a Jazzmaster body..  

God i'm confused now...

You can put them on there, but it won't intonate right at all, and a jag body is essentially the same as a jaguar, minus routing and bridge position.

It's this guy:  http://www.jxgguitars.com  A friend of mine had some work done which he was really happy with and quite a few people recommended him so I find it kind of bizarre that he would give me this information and when I told him everywhere and everyone else I had asked said it wasn't possible, he insisted it was...

I came THIS close to buying a Jazzmaster after speaking to him too...

This whole thing is really getting me down a bit now to be honest..!  

Ok I will return to the original route and try and find someone else to do the work.  

Can someone tell me if there is a big difference between the necks of mid-late 90s CIJ Jags and necks from the 00's? - Early-mid oo's seem to be the ones coming up for sale most often.  

no, there is not a BIG difference, the difference wouldn't even be noticable, i can pretty much garentee that. tho. there is a difference between the made min mexico, vs. the made in japan jag necks.

i would like to state once again that a 24 scale neck will not fit on a 25.5 scale body, and a 25.5. scale neck will not fit on a 24 scale body. it will not work. it will not work, it will not work, that tech is either high, or he is thinking that he can move the bridge easily. which, you can't the bridge would have to sit ontop of the pickup for it to intonate properly. believe me, im a professional with this jazz. i have built more project bodies than i care to remember. and about 8 full on customs and went to scool back in 06 for luthierie. tho im really just a hobbiest at this point in my life, i still know what im talking about.

It's ok - I think the fact that you, everyone else on this forum and everyone else on the web Vs the guitar guy I spoke to says all that needs to be said...  

When I asked him about the work needing to be done on the initial idea of converting a Jaguar into a shortscale Jazzmaster he also said that he didn't know if there would be room to fit the JM pickups into the body and under the pick guard with a JM rhythm circuit and also that a custom JM pickguard wouldn't need to be made as a regular JM pickguard could be made to fit the Jag body...  Is this also untrue?

Thanks for the info re the necks though.  There is a nice early 00's Japanese Jag on ebay at the moment but the seller has 0% feedback so I'm hesitant to buy...

These two images, i've seen many times will show you the size difference if the bodies are lined up, and if the neck pockets are lined up. you can see there is a big enough difference that its most likely better to just have a custom one done to make it look right. The blue is the jazzmaster, red is the jaguar.

jagjazzcomp.gif

jagjazzcomp2.gif

Thanks for that.  I've got my eye on a couple of 00's Japanese Jaguars (both candy apple red) and i'm going to give a different Luthier a call today and see if he can make me feel any better about things...

Finally can anyone share some thoughts/advice on which Jazzmaster pickups to go for?  

Well - I am now the proud owner of this:  

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Red-Fender-Jaguar-with-matching-headstock-crafted-in-Japan-/221270139465?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3384ba6249&nma=true&si=7Nec1p85VPwq1Mpyznayxdvg1uk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

and for a pretty good price too I reckon..  There was another identical one in pristine condition with a Mustang bridge for £675 but I can live with a couple of dents - adds character!

I have contacted another luthier who concurs with everything that has been said on here and is happy to do the work for a more reasonable price than the other guy.  Just need to choose JM pickups now..!

good deal. alot of folks really like the antiquity jm pups, also the qtr pounders.I didn't like the jaguar bridge qtr pounder i had a few years ago, but, other folks like em. so watch some vid demos of the jazzmaster pups is a good idea. i would actually suggest the american vintage re-issue pickups, i rather like them.

When it comes to pickups, I really don't have a clue what would be best.  On this site http://www.at-the-creamery.co.uk/shop/custom-handwound-vintage-and-modern-replacement-jazzmaster-pickups.html  there is the 'classic 58' and the 'modern 58' - not sure what would be best out of those two?  Then in the Seymour Duncan range there's all this 'high/moderate output', 'pro shop' business which I also have no clue about..  Then there's the question of whether it'd be beneficial to have a mix?  Like, one 'high output' in the bridge position and one 'classic' in the neck etc etc?  

As I said I really don't know!  Guess I just want the classic JM sound for a reasonable price...

Jim Fleeting http://www.guitarrepairman.co.uk/index.html  who'll be doing the work is great, he sent me a couple of pics that Curt Novak sent to him of a 'Jazzuar' that he made https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=e860174de3&view=att&th=140cc0b17bf59428&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=cd81b10f5ef19662_0.1&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-v_rPz3v4udvvFyJ6EJd_H&sadet=1378047405234&sads=-uY_Enw0xBnzKCiQnDghDV4VIFE&sadssc=1

Just confirms that its going to work and look great!  (I am going to have the toggle switch routed to the correct position though.)

Personally i perfer high output pickups, but then again i'm not a fan of single coils. Generally speaking you want a balance between the neck and bridge. if you look at some sets you'll see they generally pair one output with another.

As to the pro shop, this is from the FAQ on SD's website

"We have a small brochure that lists just our 28 most popular pickup models. These pickups account for more than 80% of all our sales and generally meet the needs of most everyday players. However, we make another 80 different models of pickups. These include a lot of the more esoteric pickups (like Quarter Pound for Jaguar, for instance). These pickups are the ones that are most likely to be used by the pros and specialty players, which we appreciate. To honor them, when we updated our packaging, we designated the specialty pickups as "Pro Shop," for the pro players."

Thanks for that.

Well the guitar is now in the luthiers workshop and should be ready in two weeks.  He said he'll send me some pics of the work in progress - if he does i'll start a new topic on it.

Thanks for all your help and advice - wouldn't have had a clue about any of this without you!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another question:  

I'm going to sell all the Jaguar bits (pickups, pickguard, switches etc etc) would you recommend selling them separately or together as a package and how much on average could I realistically expect to get for them?

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...