That is my thought. You can find vintage ones for $2000. I got my US competition mustang with matching headstock for less than $2000.

Reissue? Nooo, VINTAGE ;)

I was just wondering if theyre worth their tag. Id love to own one, but it'd break my bank. Plus for the price of one I could probably get like 5 used mustang RIs..

How do they play and sound compared to newer ones?

They are very similar. I have two vintage competitions and one reissue.

New competition family photo. I thought I should get some pictures of all three of my competitions together. (1968 US Competition Red, 1969 US Competition Blue, and my '69 Reissue Japanese Competition Ocean Turquoise Metallic.)

9061924331_fa1766a9f2.jpg
IMG_3596 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

9061924753_aa4a585c42.jpg
IMG_3597 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

9061925451_b56520ae28.jpg
IMG_3598 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

9061925993_2b9400aee1.jpg
IMG_3599 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

9064156730_9d06b51ac4.jpg
IMG_3601 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

9064157150_d546f8688d.jpg
IMG_3602 by Hentai No Baka, on Flickr

They are very similar. I have two vintage competitions and one reissue.

I'd love a clean blue one like yours! beautiful :P

I'm contemplating a red one currently on the guitar centre website, but I really want a blue. But the prices on ebay and stuff seem to be so different just because of the colour..

had any bad experiences buying vintage online? I guess you do it a lot

unless there are some really really good gut shots showing off each peice and some good close ups i don't buy vintage online, unless its from someone i know personally.

Yes, I agree with Robert.  And also ya gotta engage the seller with questions. You get a feel for their character when they respond. Then, if you're feelin encouraged by the quality of the reply, arrange to talk by phone. Have a list of specific questions. Make sure there's a return option.

Then be prepared to evaluate the axe thoroughly when it arrives or take it to a trusted Luthier for inspection.

I've bought five good guitars and three amps off eBay and have been successful each time. Knock on wood... ;-)

Cheers,