Mustang Volume Pot SOS: Adjustment? Replacement?

Hey guys...first timer here so be gentle. Thanks.

So my Mustang (CIJ, '04-05, w/ n&b alnico single coils) isn't giving me much from the volume knob. Specifically, 90% of the volume is in the first o'clock that I turn. At max volume, with one slight o'clock turn down it becomes drastically quieter. Turn the knob lower than that and (it's not silent but) it is not at a feasible playing volume. (This problem occurs when I am playing clean and/or through my LPB-1 [clean boost]. When I engage my Big Muff, the volume knob is more reactive and lets me clean up the fuzz.)

Do I need to replace the pot? If so, what type of pot? Could it be a wiring issue? Is thems just the CIJ breaks? Something else in my chain maybe (I have done extensive troubleshooting to isolate the issue)?

Sorry to say, but I don't know the pots that are currently in there. I bought the Mustang second-hand; I'm guessing the pots are factory-issue. They look split-shaft, like a Tele I once had.

Thanks for any advice. I'd like to be able to service my own equipment, instead of running to the shop and dropping dough every time I need some repair/adjustment. But I am stumped here.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Jav
      Hi all

I’d  like to upgrade my Squier Mustang VM to the Fender Dynamic Vibrato unit, but can’t find any at a reasonable price online in the UK. Everything is imports with steep delivery costs, or vintage expensive ones that I’m not particularly interested in.

Anyone know of where to buy one, or an alternative brand as good as the original Fender?

cheers
      Jav

• By Mich_pt
      Hey, everyone!
      I'm new to this forum and one of the reasons why I joined in is because I recently traded up a Fender Mustang Player and got an American made that's supposed to be a '75 all original and it does look that way. But I can't seem to find that much info about it with the serial number so I was wondering if any of you could help me gather some bits of info about the specs like neck measurements, the pups it might come with and so on. The serial number is 621987 and it's on the neckplate right above the big "F" logo that I believe is from the CBS era. All I was told is that it's all original and that it was made in 1975 in Fullerton, USA. 
      I would very much appreciate your help and I'm very excited to share this new baby with all of you
    • By Alldatjazz
      Hello everyone thanks for reading. I recently came across a Mustang that is supposedly a 1982, but it's very difficult to find info on these years. Can anyone tell me some tell-tale signs? I have a few pics of it that I will attach. 
      Serial: R018034 . Theres conflicting info on this. According to a mustang history page, that means it's 1982, but according to a decoder, it's a 2004 reissue?
      I can't figure out how to upload pics through here? So here's a link to the imgur gallery
      https://imgur.com/gallery/jNs2yUg
      If anyone can help, that'd be awesome and I'd really appreciate it.

• By Willem Mustang
      Okay, this may sound a little weird. But I can just easily lift the knobs off the guitar. It was already this way when I got it and never took action to fix it.
      I have no idea how it got this way. It's like they were never actually tightened. My question is, what's the best way to get them tight/locked in place?
      So I can turn the knobs without worrying that they'll come off.