SOS: Mustang wiring - humbucker, push/pull, switch settings, etc

Hello all. I'm hoping for some wiring assistance. Here's the scoop:

CIJ RI Fender Mustang. 2004 approx. Current pups are single coils, don't think they are stock though. I am the second owner, looks like previous owner installed staggered single coils (brand unknown, both neck & bridge read 5.8K on the back of the pup). I am replacing the bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan Lil' Screamin' Demon single-coil sized humbucker. I also picked up CTS 500K pots (audio taper). One of them is push/pull. The tone cap I have to install is .022uF.

I am looking to wire it for the following switch settings:

(headstock------tailpiece)

-0- -0- both pickups off

-0- 0-- bridge on (forward)
-0- --0 bridge on (back)
0-- -0- neck on (forward)

--0 -0- neck on (back)
0-- 0-- both pups on, in phase

--0 --0 both pups on, in phase
0-- --0 both pups on, out of phase
--0 0-- both pups on, out of phase

My aim is to have the push/pull as the tone pot. Pushed in, humbucker, pulled out single coil. So for the aforementioned settings, the settings with both pickups would be bridge as humbucker when pushed. Then bridge as single coil when pulled. And with the bridge-only pup setting, the same push/pull controls.

I want the out of phase settings to be humcanceling, regardless of humbucker/single coil push/pull.

Is this possible? I can't seem to find a wiring diagram for this specifically. Does anyone have a simpler idea to achieve these (or comparable) settings? Thanks!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By ps___093
      I am routing it to fit Humbuckers,  (SH-4 JB Bridge Humbucker & SH-2 Jazz Model Neck Humbucker)
               changing the bridge to a Mustang one, or something better ( happy to hear any recommendations ) 
                I’ll be using CTS 1 MEG pots for volume and tone, as well as the Orange Drop Capacitor .047uf        ( hopefully this will give it a nice bright tone ? )
            will try and make the top switch a Parallel & Series switch, as well as having the coil splits on the bottom switches.. 

I’d love to hear your opinions on the materials/parts i’m planing on using, and if you have any other suggestions please let me know!

• By Alldatjazz
      Hello everyone thanks for reading. I recently came across a Mustang that is supposedly a 1982, but it's very difficult to find info on these years. Can anyone tell me some tell-tale signs? I have a few pics of it that I will attach. 
      Serial: R018034 . Theres conflicting info on this. According to a mustang history page, that means it's 1982, but according to a decoder, it's a 2004 reissue?
      I can't figure out how to upload pics through here? So here's a link to the imgur gallery
      https://imgur.com/gallery/jNs2yUg
      If anyone can help, that'd be awesome and I'd really appreciate it.

• By SpookyMr
      Hi. I am planning on modding my Surf Green Squire vintage modified jaguar to have 2 4 wire humbuckers, a three way toggle switch, and a coil tap on the neck pickup, however I want to keep the rhythm circuit and low cut switch. (basically similar to a Kurt Cobain jag except only master volume and master tone, neck coil tap, and keeping the low cut switch) I'm 17 and I'm not very good with wiring, also jag wiring is especially confusing. Would anyone be able to help me figure out a wiring diagram for this, or at least help explain it to me? Are there any other mods I should try for this guitar? 
    • By Highanddry
      Hi, so I’m a wiring noob and needing some help with the wiring I have in mind. I’m upgrading both pups in my JS. In the bridge I’m putting in a Seymour Duncan P-Rails, and in the neck a Lace Chrome Dome (or DiMarzio Area 67). (Two slide switches and Tone and Vol.)
      What I want to be able to do if possible is wire the neck switch to toggle between the neck/neck+bridge(parallel)/bridge. The bridge switch I want to wire to split the p-rails, rail/humbucker(series)/p-90.
      So, what I need is a diagram if possible and some advice about the switches. I assume i’ll need two 3-way on/on/on slide switches?
      Any help is greatly appreciated.