The greatest guitarists of all time

Mixolydian

if you cant play a solo in a key then you should drop the guitar and pick up something like painting,because if your are such a player as you cant even find a simple A key to solo out of well I feel very sorry for a player like that,and the Kurtzz solo's are not at all very impressive to me or any other player Ive met as opposed to say Van Halen which doesnt do much for me yet shows his sheer abilitity to play an instrument,But a Jimi Hendrix solo such as the Woodstock Improvisation or the abstract version of The Star Spangled Banner is something that cannot be rivialed by any other player I have yet to hear so in that I say if you suck enough to not know keys then stop playing a guitar,because your not going to go anywhere. Sorry I realized how mean and overbearing what I said might mean but I dont mean to be an #### ha.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guitar playing is relative.............There are all sorts of "guitar players". One guy could swear that Eric Clapton was the cats ass....but to another guy Eddie Van Halen kicks his ass 'cause he could play more notes in a shorter period of time....to wich the first guy would say "Well, I don't like his kind of music..it's blah blah blah" It all boils down to the songs that the guitarist is playing. Sure Cobain couldn't play like Eddie VH, but on the flip side...I bet Eddie couldn't play like him.

I consider it more important to learn BOTH aespects of guitar playing, both teh Kurtz aespect (feel and emotion projection), and the technical aespect. The best players, at least in my mind's eye, have both. Take for example, Elliot Easton of The Cars.......just look how many hat's that guy wears just in that band alone!

- My Best Friend's Girl - Country Chickin' Pickin' and Fingerstyle on a Tele

- Just What I Needed - Radio Friendly Rock ala Boston

- Moving In Stereo - Textural Ambience ala, Andy Summers

- Nightspots - Elliot rips a little 2-hand hammer-on ala Edward Van-Halen

- Since You're Gone - Robert Frip E-bow type effects achieved via ingenuity

- Shake It Up - Bits of Jazz type rhythm stabs with standard Rock Soloing

- Magic - Elliot goes 80's Arena Rock on this one, complete with Marshalls and Locking Tremelo

- Drive - 80's Soft rock, you don't even hear that it's Elliot playing little parts in the back on a synth guitar setup and a very low eq'd guitar

- Tonight She Comes - Elliot goes into hair metal mode, whammy bar, and even a few pick squeals and harmonics

- Fine Line - Bluesy soloing, very atmostpheric

- Door To Door - Punkish Nutso Noise

So far that guy, all in one, covers styles of Country, Jazz, Blues, Reggae, a few different shades of metal both glam and not, new wave, underground, and even a little "frippertronics" type stuff. All in a lil' Boston based New Wave band. Now THAT is a guitar player. The key is elliot played for the song, but used the teqnique to do it. And some of those solos were improvised, such as the rare outtake Take What You Want, that's Elliot improvising. However, you have Elliot composing them too, such as the one on "Touch And Go", which is an incredible solo, all played on a little Fender Lead I guitar from 1979 (a STUDENT guitar of all things).

That is how I view an excellent guitarist, one that can use musical sense, keep with the song's feel, and not limit themselves out of laziness or lack of confidence in their abilities. Steve Vai can wank out 6 million notes a minute, but I've seen him play as slow and soulful as SRV. Every guitarist of course, will also be different. There's no way in heck, no matter how hard I try, I could sound exactly like Billy Gibbons or Edward Van-Halen. I can always come close, but it's never going to be the same as the genuine article. The best idea is to learn from the masters, forget, and come up with your own thing, that's how I see it, and most of those guys did that. Who'd guess that Edward Van-Halen cites Eric Clapton as his biggest influence. Even then, I consider Billy Gibbons mine, and I sound NOTHING like The Rev Willie G.

whats wrong with fifth chords and improved solos?

Nothing im not saying the Kurtz was wrong as Mad-Mike said he had the emotion/feel part of it but also having feel and technical ability allows you to create beautiful music that can reallly move people not to say that im saying everyone should try and be the next Bach or something but I feel that having Emotion and Ability go hand in hand to making really inspiring music,as oppossed to Kurtzzz violated angry trashing about with a hotrodded stang. I mean in my playing ive gone both ways and now im at a middle ground I feel,I went starting out playing like the Kurtzzz and it gets boring after awhile when you go to playing something that is non distorted and more technical and it pisses you off. Then I just went shear ability and that well you just end up wanking around I found ha. Now I mix them both and its far more fun,just see if anyone can listen to Marty Friedman's solo album Introduction he mixed flutes violins and heavily distorted guitar and it ####in rocks!

no...not everyone can pull out an improvised solo...you have to base it off the key u are in and chord progression. Timing is also big factor.

Dont take SLTS, i dont even like that song....look at his improvised solos from School or one of his best....Sappy

Anyone can solo like Kurt Cobain. Learning how to solo over chord progressions is part of learning to play the guitar. If you don't care about becoming effecient on your instrument then you're really just dickin' around.

no...not everyone can pull out an improvised solo...you have to base it off the key u are in and chord progression. Timing is also big factor.

Dont take SLTS, i dont even like that song....look at his improvised solos from School or one of his best....Sappy

Anyone can solo like Kurt Cobain. Learning how to solo over chord progressions is part of learning to play the guitar. If you don't care about becoming effecient on your instrument then you're really just dickin' around.

u just contradicted urself....people who are just dickin around cannot play a solo like KC

hey the KURTZZ wanted to be remembered as a song writter not a guitarist so lets stop bull#### about how " good " he apperently is because he can improve...and lets remember that he could write some neat songs such as FRANCES FARMER WILL HAVE HER REVENGE ON SEATTLE! thats a veryy cool Nirvana song the only one I listen to anymore ha.

hey the KURTZZ wanted to be remembered as a song writter not a guitarist so lets stop bull#### about how " good " he apperently is because he can improve...and lets remember that he could write some neat songs such as FRANCES FARMER WILL HAVE HER REVENGE ON SEATTLE! thats a veryy cool Nirvana song the only one I listen to anymore ha.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Your welcome mate lol ah I do like some KC solos just cause the effects he used sound very cool ha but there not AMAZING! or worthy of being one of the 100 greatest guitarist mybe 100 most known,but the Kurtzzz has his place.

Guitar playing is relative.............There are all sorts of "guitar players". One guy could swear that Eric Clapton was the cats ass....but to another guy Eddie Van Halen kicks his ass 'cause he could play more notes in a shorter period of time....to wich the first guy would say "Well, I don't like his kind of music..it's blah blah blah" It all boils down to the songs that the guitarist is playing. Sure Cobain couldn't play like Eddie VH, but on the flip side...I bet Eddie couldn't play like him.

As a side note...I saw Buddy Guy in concert and at one point he said. "do you want to hear some BBKing and knocked out some BBKing then went through a list that included Ligntin' Hopkins, Freddie King, Jimmy Reed, Muddy Waters, and on through about 10 or so of the best blues guitarists.

If you closed your eyes you'd swear that you were hearing the original guitarist.

Robert Johnson-Invented the damn blues

while i love his boogie-woogie piano-guitar style, he wasn't even close to inventing the blues: he just smoothed it all out and made it a bit more accessible (it made the jazz history books, but more important was a major catalyst for the invention of rock and roll). you should check out his influences, Son House and Blind Willie Johnson, he got a lot of his guitar stuff and some of his songs from them. by changing the lyrics to someone elses cool guitar tune you've got a new blues song, it was quite common within the blues. there's barely an original riff on led zep's first album either (one could argue dazed and confused is the only one, but actually jimmy page ripped that entire song off from some dude he played a gig with in the mid 60's). it's all willie dixon and muddy waters type stuff.

also check out Blind Willie McTell, was an incredible 12-string guitarist who could play while reading music in braille with his feet.