Long story shor: I was replacing the stock "Duncan Designed" pickup covers and switching them for Fender Aged White ones. To my surprise the stock pickup covers were glued on. The neck pup cover came off without too much trouble, however, the bridge pup was damaged in the process. I took it to my local tech and he says the coil is damaged and recommends getting a new pickup vs rewinding them.

Honestly the stock bridge pup (Model JM-101B) was just a little to shrill for my personal taste. I could get an ok tone when rolling the tone knob down but then switching between pickups is a pain in the ass because the neck would be really super muddy. I love the stock neck pickup (Model: JM-101N) My question is: Is there another pickup anybody can recommend that is just a tad mellower without having a big difference in output? I'd like to keep the neck pickup if I could. I've been trying to compare and contrast online but can't really find any spec info on the JM-101B and JM-101N vs other models. All I know is they have Alnico 5 Magnets.

Can anybody help with this topic? Any advice would be great.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Pickup Wizards hot-wound Jazzmaster pickup is my recommendation.

Probably want a pickup in Alnico 2 magnet territory, the lower the number, the warmer the tone from my experience (Alnico 5's are a bit sharper sounding).

The Jazzmaster I built back in 2010 has a Pickup Wizards Alnico 2 Jazzmaster pickup wound slightly hotter than normal (8.8K, vs. the usual 7.5-8K most Jazzmaster pickups are wound to), a lower number Alnico magnet and a higher number of winds will get a warmer pickup.  Lollar, Novak, and PIckup Wizards can do that.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By knapster
      Hello, managed to get my mitts on a staytrem bridge.  Question, is there suppose to be a generous amount of wiggle room when I drop it in the posts?  Is that what they mean by a rocker?  Thanks in advanced.  Jeff
    • By Jmtoucherr
      I made a thing, not sure what to call it
      I stuck Lendy Fralin jazzmaster pickups and a vintage DeArmond pickup taken from a Airline bobcat.
      Switch is wired like a LP and I left the rhythm circuit in tact.
      I have a black pickguard and knobs on the way along with a few tweaks and a proper set up I'll be completely in love
    • By Alldatjazz
      Hello everyone thanks for reading. I recently came across a Mustang that is supposedly a 1982, but it's very difficult to find info on these years. Can anyone tell me some tell-tale signs? I have a few pics of it that I will attach. 
      Serial: R018034 . Theres conflicting info on this. According to a mustang history page, that means it's 1982, but according to a decoder, it's a 2004 reissue?
      I can't figure out how to upload pics through here? So here's a link to the imgur gallery
      https://imgur.com/gallery/jNs2yUg
      If anyone can help, that'd be awesome and I'd really appreciate it.

• By Kuub
      Hi guys!

I've got a Fender mustang competition from 1972.?
      When I bought the guitar there was no tremolo arm.
      I bought a new one online, which fits on a '65, but it doesn't fit.... (https://www.thomann.de/nl/fender_mustang_tremarm.htm)
      I measured the parts: the tremolo arm is close to Ø5mm (around Ø4,95mm), the bridge hole is around Ø4,7mm.
      Is the hole size correct, or should it be Ø5mm? Or do I need a thinner arm?

Hope someone can help me.

Greetings,
      Willem