Stoptail Strat

Hi,

I want to get a Strat and put a TOM stop tail bridge on it.

I guess I would need to get a hardtail Strat initially?

I guess again that I would not be able to perform this mod on a trem bridge due to the trem cavity?

Hipshot sells a wooden block that you can glue into the tremolo cavity of your strat to make it a Hardtail.  That's one option.  It's the the strat bridge hardtail section. I would post the link to it but I can't post links for some reason in this forum.

Not if filled and painted over., which is the only disadvantage I see aside from a possible wood mismatch.

An odd thing I was thinking about since reading this thread was Kurt Cobain's strat that he destroyed in the studio during the Nevermind sessions was a tremolo Stratocaster that had a TOM and stoptail installed, the TOM was installed where the pivot screws attach (not sure how good the intonation was though), and the stoptail was installed behind the rout.  Not pretty but it seems that it worked well enough up until Endless Nameless.

It can be done, but a more attractive solution is to use a hardtail, even then, there's sill some fill work for it to look clean as most are string-through and have 3-5 screws holding the bridgeplate down.  It'll be a lot easier to fill cleanly than the above blocking method.

Some companies also make TOM style strats as well, though i know some people will shoot them down since they're from cheaper companies. SX guitars has a few that are like that, atleast for us leftys anyway. But like Mike said, Kurt was able to do it so its possible, and some people won't care if they can see through the body, but just a regular hardtail is an option as well.

Thanks for that redman/Mad-Mike.

It is the Strat that Kurt Cobain destroyed during Endless Nameless and live in Montreal '91 that I am trying to replicate.

I guess Kurt Cobain had the rout filled and painted, as I can not see a hole in the body of the guitar.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Is the TOM in the above picture a TOM with the thin or thicker poles?

Looks to be a smaller (ABR-1) Style Tune-O-Matic.

I remember that guitar, that guitar did not even have a block installed, the tremolo routing remained untouched.  Not sure if Ernie Bailey modified it or if Kurt Cobain did it himself.  Before Ernie, Kurt did modifications and even built his own guitars using whatever was handy, he probably favored that bridge/tialpiece combo at the time.

Thanks for the info. So that's the Gotoh Tune O Matic with the thin posts?

Yep, it has thin posts.  Actually, on a closer look, I was wrong about the ABR-1 (hard to see on my other screen), it is a Gotoh tune-o-matic, the same one you can buy at Stewart MacDonald guitar shop supply (they are sometimes called the "Memphis Style" Tune-O-Matic). I've used those before, the big difference is a wider intonation range on each string plus there is no retainer wire for the saddle screws.