• Similar Content

• By Willem Mustang
      Okay, this may sound a little weird. But I can just easily lift the knobs off the guitar. It was already this way when I got it and never took action to fix it.
      I have no idea how it got this way. It's like they were never actually tightened. My question is, what's the best way to get them tight/locked in place?
      So I can turn the knobs without worrying that they'll come off.
    • By raoulduke215
      Hey guys...first timer here so be gentle. Thanks.

So my Mustang (CIJ, '04-05, w/ n&b alnico single coils) isn't giving me much from the volume knob. Specifically, 90% of the volume is in the first o'clock that I turn. At max volume, with one slight o'clock turn down it becomes drastically quieter. Turn the knob lower than that and (it's not silent but) it is not at a feasible playing volume. (This problem occurs when I am playing clean and/or through my LPB-1 [clean boost]. When I engage my Big Muff, the volume knob is more reactive and lets me clean up the fuzz.)

Do I need to replace the pot? If so, what type of pot? Could it be a wiring issue? Is thems just the CIJ breaks? Something else in my chain maybe (I have done extensive troubleshooting to isolate the issue)?

Sorry to say, but I don't know the pots that are currently in there. I bought the Mustang second-hand; I'm guessing the pots are factory-issue. They look split-shaft, like a Tele I once had.

Thanks for any advice. I'd like to be able to service my own equipment, instead of running to the shop and dropping dough every time I need some repair/adjustment. But I am stumped here.
    • By rilley
      I'm dealing with a
      braided-shield style humbucker pick up, by GFS...

They have sent me wiring diagrams for a normal pick up, with the red, white, green, and black wires.
      But this pickup has one wire, with a metal layer outside.
      I am so lost. I just want to know how to wire this so I can play my guitar.
      Thank you.
    • By The Jagmaster
      SO! what have you done to change your gear?
      I've changed my trusty Squier Jagmaster (my workhorse, sunburst) to having tele style knobs, had to change all the internal wiring since I somehow managed to snap all of the wires, and replaced the bridge pickup with a Dimarzio Super Distortion (creme) and this has played at every show I've done, including places like Disneyland, The Cavern, the Royal Albert Hall..the list goes on, but even though its honestly abeaten up, cheap P.O.S, I love it to death and the tone from it is KILLER!
      I'm also getting my 62 RI Jaguar (CARed) modded a fair bit since my trusty squier is beginning to die after 5 years of hardcore abuse. I picked this up from my favourite store, and some guy bought it for like £800 and had it for A DAY and played it once, decided he didnt like it and traded it back in, so I came down after christmas about 2 years ago and managed to pick it up for about £390 with all the case candy, the film still on, and all the other junk. SCORE!
      ANYWAY, thats the story, but now onto the main subject, modding.
      I've just recently sent it off for a couple of mods.
      - Its getting 250k pots installed (it has 1meg) since I hate the on/off feel it has at the moment with no sweep
      -a new pickguard (I believe its gonna be white mother of pearl or something),
      -a toggle switch installed (similar to the KC model) since the switches are hard to change at speed,
      -and its being routed in the bridge for a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro Slash humbucker I picked up when visiting family in Canada for $120 since frankly, I hate the single coil in it, yet the neck is perfect to me. Although I may get another Super Distortion since its worked out pretty good for me in my jagmaster.
      I'm also contemplating changing the tuning pegs to Grovers and all the chrome hardware to a gold colour (it has gold straplocks and the colours matched pretty good)
      I'd also be pretty interested in a red/black burst or something.
      I'll put some pictures up when I get it back!
      now its your go