Kurt Cobain Mustang

I took my guitar to a tech be set up like Kurt's.

Is the hotrail the wrong way around? If so, does it matter?

Also. The TOM saddles are in two different directions. Is that a problem?

The tail price has been flipped like Kurt's. But as you see in the pics below the hole for the whammy on mine is in a different place to the one on Kurts .What's up with that?

Guitar sounds and plays great though.

IMG_20140926_224556113_zpspklnnmyt.jpg

IMG_20140916_082702_zpsp1wp8fn1.jpg

Howdy!

Is the hotrail the wrong way around? If so, does it matter?

Yes the pickup looks to be in backward. Pickup brand names are generally readable when the guitar is in a stand or on the wall. Does it really matter? I'm not 100% sure. But I'm guessing if it's wired correctly and installed backward your phase switch will just work backwards.

There is also possibility the cavity of your mustang would only fit the pickup in the direction the tech put it in. He may have just wired it "backwards" to make up for it and in that case your phase switch would work as expected. The SH-1 (assuming that's what model pickup this is) is shaped to fit the strat pickup cavity.

Also. The TOM saddles are in two different directions. Is that a problem?

Not a problem and this is important to help intonation. The saddles on the lower 3 stings generally need to be back further to intonate correctly and the saddles on the higher 3 strings generally need to be forward further to intonate correctly. (that is just a general comment - not on your photo) So they are shaped like that to change the string contact point and give a few more mm adjustment for correct intonation.

The tail price has been flipped like Kurt's. But as you see in the pics below the hole for the whammy on mine is in a different place to the one on Kurts .What's up with that?

Keep in mind that in the black and white photo that is most likely a right handed tailpiece on a left handed mustang so when the stop bar is flipped the hole is then "correct" on a left handed guitar. You would need to get a left handed tailpiece or left handed stop bar on yours to get the hole on the bottom side after the flip.  I didn't care for how my guitar played when I flipped the stop bar for a while but that is something that comes down to personal preference.

Awesome you're enjoying how the guitar plays after the setup! That's most important.

Yep- What Al(ex) said about the pickup routing. The bridge pickup route on a Mustang is the reverse of the route on a Strat. The route is sort of triangular shaped, to accommodate where the wires come out of the pickup. On a Strat, all of the pointy parts of all three pickup routes point down to the bridge. On a Mustang, the pointy parts point in to each other, so the neck PU route points the bridge and the bridge PU route points up to the neck- the reverse of the Strat route.