Sign in to follow this  
jace

Time for a new pickup

Hey guys i havent been on here in quite some time. Im thinking about changing out my humbucker but not sure what would sound best in my jagstang. Ive been looking at sds because im most familiar with them cause i have them in several of my guitars. Just wondering what humbucker pickups you guys have put into your jagstangs and how they have sounded?

For a Jag-Stang, it depends on what version you have.  I have the earlier run that was Basswood (later ones are Alder or so I'm told).

The Basswood ones, because of the body wood, light bridge density, brass saddles, and short scale, they tend to have a naturally good scooped midrange so something that enhances the midrange or upper midrange would be an excellent choice.  I'd think a DiMarzio Super II would sound good in one of the old basswood ones like mine if you want a more vintagey sound, and something more like a Stag Mag would work on the higher output end of passive pickups.

The later ones, because of the decreased low-end response from an Alder body, probably want to throw something with slightly more lows than above into the picture, maybe like a Pearly Gates.

I use EMG pickups in mine, not sure if that route it for everyone though since it's a bit of an odd mix, but the bright highs and higher output really punch up the Jag-Stang's output a lot, have to be careful with practice amps since the pickups generate about a volt of electricity and I have fried a few speakers with this setup.   It sort of gives  it an odd sparkly 80's quality over the top of a very Nirvana-like sound with a ridiculous amount of gain and a nice crunch with the right tweaks to the volume and tone pots.

Mine is 1 of the earlier 1s also. I will have to check out that dimarzio super II, my only experience with dimarzio is the breed pickup which i forgot is in 1 of my other guitars. Emgs in a jagstang huh? I have 1 emg equipped guitar but not the way i am going for in my jagstang.

The sds i was looking at was either the sh-11 custom custom or the sh-14 custom 5

I used to have a Jagstang when they first come out back in the 90's. I put a Duncan Screamin' Demon in the bridge and a Duncan Hot Strat Stack in the neck and it sounded much better than it did with the stock pups. I think part of the improvement was a change to 500k pots. The stock wiring uses 250k pots, which don't let as much high end through as 500k pots and that guitar was naturally a little muddy sounding at high gain because of the short scale length and basswood body. I just bought a Cobain Mustang with a Duncan JB, which reminds me a lot of the sound of my old Jagstang with the stock PUPs. I am also looking to replace the PUPS on the Mustang. I sent an email to Duncan and they recommended the ALNICO 2 Custom/Custom, but I am also considering the Screamin' Demon and the 59/Custom Hybrid. That has one ceramic magnet and one ALNICO 5 magnet. I am thinking the ceramic magnet will tighten up the tone a bit, while the ALNICO 5 will add some vintage flavor without getting too muddy. I have a CP Jag HH with ceramic PUPS and it sounds much better than the KC Mustang to my ears. I am a bit wary that the ALNICO 2 loaded Custom/Custom will still be too muddy.