tutorial on how to lock fender mustang tremolo with washer (photos included)

mustangbaby

I couldnt find a decent video or forum post anywhere so i decided to post this and figure it out as i went along. you may ask why do this mod? increased sustain was what i was after and i was shocked to find it greatly increased after this mod. the hardest thing about 

this whole mod is removing the tremolo springs... i used a flat head screw driver and needle nose pliers for that.

we will talk about washer sizes later in the post.

things you will need : 

new strings, possibly needle nose pliers, 4 metal washers, philips head screw driver (5/32), flat head screw driver(any size) 

hex wrench (3/32)

first start by removing all screws... ignore the two spring post in the photo

IMG_20141213_141950859_zps9aeba563.jpg

This is where the hard part comes in. my only advice is using a flat head screw driver and pry them off the posts that way. or if you have no need for them ever again, use a saw or file to cut the springs off

IMG_20141213_142355026_zps1857e055.jpg

Here is everything you will need for the next step. i cannot stress this enough that you will need 4 washers, two on each post that used to connect the springs. one on each post isnt sufficient and will result in an non stable, still moving back and forward cigar tube.

IMG_20141213_153822775_zps9333f596.jpg

now put the posts back where they belong on the plate and add two washers on each post. washer size isnt important as long as they fit over the post and dont leave too much wiggle room between post and washer.

IMG_20141213_155651253_HDR_zps73231020.j

at this point you will attach the cigar tube to  the post. you will want to flip the tube in a way you can sting through the tube instead of having to wrap strings around it. the washers sit under the cigar tube and above the plate. so in between the two. you will use your hex key to tighten the posts to the tube and this will lock them tight and there will not be any movement what so ever!

IMG_20141213_155822544_zps4dbbfe7a.jpg

now you can put the unit back in place, attach it back to the body with your screws.

IMG_20141213_160910484_zps206ca930.jpg

strings will go through the tube like so.

IMG_20141213_170119212_zps39509407.jpg

A side view of what it looks like between the bridge and cigar tube

IMG_20141213_171547441_zpsaaf6f689.jpg

IMG_20141213_171531174_zps616c476f.jpg

IMG_20141213_171503519_zpsd0d3f370.jpg

• 8 months later...

Eh, I just used two 10mm bolts that screwed into the bar, didn't need to remove the springs at all, and put the washers on the underside to bring the tube flat with the body.

i didnt do that because the angle of the strings leaving the tube going to the bridge was too much of a steep angle. flat to the body means a huge break angle... atleast on my mustang.

• 2 weeks later...

i didnt do that because the angle of the strings leaving the tube going to the bridge was too much of a steep angle. flat to the body means a huge break angle... atleast on my mustang.

Yea that's sort of the point, it helps with tuning stability. and realistically, it's no more tense than wrapping the strings around the tube.

Yea that's sort of the point, it helps with tuning stability. and realistically, it's no more tense than wrapping the strings around the tube.

ive never liked wrap around brideges on like say a PRS guitar or any guitar... wrap around greatly decreases sustain. stringing through on a mustang after you flip the tube will greatly increase sustain, atleast on my mustang, it was very noticeable. the are some people who will only wrap a few strings around the tube...the plain strings. theres a famous guitarist that does that... for somereason im thinking one of the guys from aerosmith but i cant say forsure.