I've got an original issue Jagstang and really happy with it overall.

2 questions i have:

- i want to replace the single coil as it's not that great.  any suggestions for a single coil that suits the guitar?

- i love the song of the humbucker.  i'm not sure why others don;t like it as i seem to be able to get a really big rock and metal tone out of it with my Blackstar metal HT5.  Can anyone tell me what sort of humbucker it is.  I'd like to put one in a Jaguar Special HH MIM that i just got.  It's a lovely guitar but the humbucker sounds are too muddy for my liking.  I'd like to keep one of the originals and replace the other with a jagstang humbucker so i can get a big variety in tone.  I've heard that most people want to change the humbucker in the jagstang and i never know why.  Although, if you're got another suggestion for a humbucker for the Jaguar HH i'd be happy to hear about it

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

The Bridge Humbucker that came stock in the Jag-Stang was a inexpensive recreation of the DiMarzio H3 put in Kurt's original.  That pickup is very close to the DiMarzio EVO (evolution) pickup Steve Vai uses in spec or so I've been told, which is odd because the stock Jag-Stang humbuckers are nowhere in the ballpark (7.16K ohms resisitance versus around 14K resistance - which is what my EMG 81 has).  Chances are someone could have upgraded the pickup with one that looks very similar.  The only way to know is to pull the pickguard and see what labels (if any) on the bottom of the pickup are.

They also may have changed this for the reissues, I have very limited experience with those.

• 5 months later...

Isn't a Dimarzio H3 a stacked Strat style single coil voiced humbucker style pickup like what Yngwie Malmsteen used back in the day? I don't think it was a traditional style humbucker like what you find on a Jag-Stang? I always thought the Jag-Stang used a Dimarzio Super Distortion or Duncan JB clone? Aren't those what Kur Cobain used in his Jaguar and Jag-Stang?

Isn't a Dimarzio H3 a stacked Strat style single coil voiced humbucker style pickup like what Yngwie Malmsteen used back in the day? I don't think it was a traditional style humbucker like what you find on a Jag-Stang? I always thought the Jag-Stang used a Dimarzio Super Distortion or Duncan JB clone? Aren't those what Kur Cobain used in his Jaguar and Jag-Stang?

Kurt had a JB put into his, but it came with an h3, there's an article on the site about it. Here is the link http://www.jag-stang.com/faq/general/info-on-the-dimarzio-h3-or-h8/

• 2 weeks later...

You are correct! I was mixing up your reference to the H3 pickups with the old DiMarzio HS-3 Yngwie Malmsteen PUPs. Malmsteen jumped ship to Duncans years ago, so I kind of forgot the exact model number. It was the only Dimarzio pup that I could think of that starts with an "H". I had never heard of the H3 until you provided that link...thanks!