micko.w

80's 65 US re-issue JazzMaster

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying an 80's 65 US re-issue JazzMaster. I believe this is when Fender started doing reissues. The seller says it's American

I have the serial number it starts with a V then 6 digits

http://www.guitarrepairbench.com/guitar-dating/fender-serial-number.html

From this it could of been made from 1982. Does anyone have any better information to get to the bottom of this. The seller does not want to remove the neck, which may reveal the date

Many thanks

micko

If it has a V and six digits, the info is most likely not correct, unless someone replaced the neck. The Japanese Jazzmaster reissues were called 62' Reissue though a 64' Reissue would be a more accurate description.  The original production runs were 1985 to when Fender Japan stopped production in 2010-2011ish.  The 1982 era Japanese guitars had a JVxxxxxx serial#, so unless this guy forgot the J when printing out the ad, and has a super-rare early pre-production guitar, his naming is incorrect.....In the case of the Jazzmaster, a V series serial will have a non-bold Made in Japan logo above it, and would make for a instrument built around 1996-1997 - making it one of the last Fujigen Gakki guitars before Fender switched to Dyna to build their Japanese guitars in 1997-1998ish.  In America, typically the Fujigen guitars had basswood bodies (generally).

Also, Japanese Jazzmasters were made from 1985-2011.  1985-1997/98 at Fujigen Gakki, 1997-2007 at Dyna Gakki, and I dunno who made them during the final production, they might have moved back to Fujigen Gakki again for all I know.

In 1982, only ONE Jazzmaster was made, and it was at the original Fender plant in Fullerton California, and that was for a retiring Fender employee who was very fond of the Fender Jazzmaster - this one - http://c-nelson.com/1982-fender-jazzmaster/ - serial# S800746

Image result for the last fender jazzmaster 1982

Thanks for that comprehensive reply.

I have seen the guitar & serial number, but the whole thing is too much of a mystery, so have decided to leave it.

Thanks for your help though

micko

If you can find an '80s Jazzmaster or Jaguar, better snatch it up fast!

They are super hard to find.

I own a Jazzmaster from the '80s

The serial number starts with an 'E'

E6 to be exact, which puts it around 1986. But according to most web sights it could have been made anywhere between 1984-1987.

Another visual give a way on '80s Jags or Jazzies, is on the neck plate - it should have FENDER stanmped on it.