Gassing for a dark blue jazzmaster with matching headstock - should I mod or build?

I really like the idea of a dark blue (or dark green) JM with matching headstock. There doesn't seem to be any production model matching this description.

So I had been thinking of putting one together using body and neck from a UK builder (guitarbuild.co.uk or gspbasses, or another) and doing the paint job myself. Can I get material quality comparable to eg Fender japan this way? I know that there's no resale value in this route, so let's leave that aside for now.

Alternatively I could get a reasonably priced JM (maybe a japanese or a classic player. Maybe even a JMascis squier), and repaint. However this would be a much more time-consuming job than starting with a new body, and if I'm painting the headstock then I guess I'll essentially be removing the logo and a lot of the resale value, even if I put a new decal on.

I was planning on adding aftermarket bridge, trem and pickups, so that works in favour of a build (so I'm not wasting money on hardware I'll be ditching).

I'm trying to get the best Jazzmaster I can within a budget of about £700-£800 GBP. I'm aware of the low resale value of builds and it's not a major consideration.

Any suggestions?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By knapster
      Hello, managed to get my mitts on a staytrem bridge.  Question, is there suppose to be a generous amount of wiggle room when I drop it in the posts?  Is that what they mean by a rocker?  Thanks in advanced.  Jeff
    • By Jmtoucherr
      I made a thing, not sure what to call it
      I stuck Lendy Fralin jazzmaster pickups and a vintage DeArmond pickup taken from a Airline bobcat.
      Switch is wired like a LP and I left the rhythm circuit in tact.
      I have a black pickguard and knobs on the way along with a few tweaks and a proper set up I'll be completely in love
    • By cobain
      Hello, I have a telecaster (Phil pro) neck and a mustang floating bridge, pickups, etc. I want to make a DIY good looking jag-stang but I don't know where can I get blueprints with scale. Help to figure out!
    • By MtotheFLo
      I have a beautiful CIJ jag with Duncan Hot Jag pickups. Unlike a lot of people, I love the rhythm circuit, with its girth, warmth, and output. I do wish I could get slightly more high end from it though, without sacrificing its other qualities; almost like if the tone knob went another 25% higher. Which mod do y’all recommend to achieve that? Thanks!