Sign in to follow this  
Ricey

Will full sized pots fit MIJ Mustangs?

I have an MIJ Cobain Mustang with a Duncan JB bridge and stock MIJ pup in neck position. I would like to swap stock volume and tone pots with dual concentric pots so I can have individual volume and tone controls for each pickup. The JB tends to break up much earlier than the neck pup, which has tons of clean headroom. For clean tones with both pups engaged, I want to be able to ramp the volume control down on the JB to clean it up, while keeping the neck pup on full. I have read that the Cobain Stang has mini pots. Is this because the route in the control cavity is not large enough for full size pots or is it just an MIJ thing?  I need to know what size dual concentric pots to buy?

It will but you might need to widen the holes.  The best way to do that is using a Stepper bit though I"ve used wider blade screwdrivers and files and other stuff before to do it as stepper bits are a bit expensive.

Here's a stepper bit

082472309089_ca.jpg

They are not a particularly common tool. But they work a lot better than traditional drill bits do for drilling metal. I know of them because recently I Started building pedals and that's the exact same bit I use to drill metal enclosures for pots.