Sign in to follow this  
Daniel

Warmoth jagstang project

Longtime nirvana and jagstang fan. I’m currently building a Warmoth jagstang and can’t make my mind up on the bridge/tremolo. I have a cobain signature mustang with the fender dynamic vibrato and TOM bridge. I’ve read the TOM bridge can only be used with a neck shim on a Warmoth jagstang so to me it’s a no go since I’m not interested in neck shims.

I have never played on a mustang bridge or Warmoths modified mustang bridge. Anyone have experience we these and can tell me pros and cons of both? How they differ from the TOM bridge? I feel like not having the Tom would be a downgrade? 

Alternatively, I was thinking of just going with a fixed bridge such as a fender toronado to eliminate the tremolo all together but feel that kind of takes away from the jagstang concept.

Any help is appreciated!

I have both the Cobain signature mustang with TOM bridge, a 97 Jagstang with mustang bridge and a Warmoth jaguar with Staytrem bridge (which is essentially an improved Mustang bridge). The biggest difference to me is that the TOM is a little bid easier to adjust (intonation, raising or lowering the action). However the mustang bridge has the right radius (7.25" while TOM's are generally 12").  To me it's a matter of personal preference and I much prefer the Staytrem bridge I have on my Jaguar since it has the right radius and has a little bit smaller string spacing.
And the mustang or staytrem bridge is a little bit easier on the hand when palm muting

And why the big no-no on neck shims ???

I use it on my jaguar and it's the best resonating guitar i have. It makes especially jaguar bridges more reliable and easier to adjust.

I’m more accepting of the shims now. I’m going with the tremolo and warmoth modified mustang bridge. My biggest concern now is picking a neck considering finding a fender Mustang or a jaguar neck  over warmoth possibly. Anyone chime in on what type neck they used for their warmoth jagstang build? 

If you want to stay true to the original, try to find a MIJ mustang neck.

They're also some of the slimmest Fender necks you can find. If you can live with the vintage frets and a 7.25 radius.