• 3 years later...

You're better off doing it yourself as the premade ones have the humbucker too close to the bridge and this results in a brighter sound than any of kurts mustangs. Kurt's still have the pickguard screw in front of the bridge, the humbuckers are so close to the bridge on the Japanese ones this screw isn't even there.

I've compared a lot of photos of the Japanese ones and Kurts ones and the difference is big enough to effect sound so if you're after a guitar to sound like kurts,the japanese ready made ones wont do it.

I would buy just a regular mustang, a humbucker template set from stew-mac (and a router if you dont own one) and do it myself.

Its easy to route guitars and pickguards for pickups especially when you have templates.

As for the actual humbucker location, I have a big pic I made up of the exact spot kurt had his in if you need it for reference.

why would fender japan make a different body cut for the humbuckers and not using the existing ones.

i thought the '69 reisseu already had holes for humbucker?, or am i wrong?

so why would they place it closer to the bridge?

it doesn't improve the sound and doesn't look good to!! IMO!!

Fender japan has NEVER made a mustang with humbuckers!

Its the stores that do the mods to them after purchasing them. This is evident by the fact that the pickguard still has the single coil pickup screw holes in it after a humbucker has been put in it.

Besides that, I've seen inside one and its just and after purchase mod done by stores like ikebe and ishibashi etc. Or it may be the distributor even but one fact remains, its not Fender Japan routing these mustangs for humbuckers!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you have a 65 RI those will not fit unless you drill new holes. They will fir a 69 RI though. Anyway, if you have a 65 RI then you can go on ebay and search Fender F tuners and find a lot of them. Just make sure they have the same screw hole configuration. They will also have the have the Fender F on the back of them. Let me know if you have any more questions.

• 1 month later...

hey, yall. i love what yall have done with these early mid 90's mustang's.

im doing this same mod within a few weeks, i just bought my first mustang! im so excited!!!

i had a jagstang YEARS ago but really always wanted a mustang.

anyway, what problems have you guys encountered? as you can see mine needs to be brought back to lefty but ive never cut a pickgaurd and am leary about routing the body for a humbucker not to mention i have no idea how to notch the tune o matic or how it works with the mustang to match the 7.5 radius. any help would be apperciated.

MUSTANG.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...