Hi guys!

I've got a Fender mustang competition from 1972.?

When I bought the guitar there was no tremolo arm.

I bought a new one online, which fits on a '65, but it doesn't fit.... (https://www.thomann.de/nl/fender_mustang_tremarm.htm)

I measured the parts: the tremolo arm is close to Ø5mm (around Ø4,95mm), the bridge hole is around Ø4,7mm.

Is the hole size correct, or should it be Ø5mm? Or do I need a thinner arm?

Hope someone can help me.

Greetings,

Willem

• 5 weeks later...

Hi. Whether the hole size is correct or not is immaterial - it is the size that you have! The vintage Mustangs typically have a smaller hole in the bridge and the newer replacement whammys don't fit. I don't recommend drilling out a vintage part even though that is the simplest solution. Something is only vintage until you alter it. I suspect the arm is for a '65 Reissue or  a MIJ Mustang, not an actual '65 Vintage replacement part. Regardless, neither may fit into your bridge. I would do some more searching for something vintage OR simply file/sand down your new arm to JUST fit in the smaller hole. If something goes terribly wrong (I don't know what that could be), you are only out a few bucks. Shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes. You may want to wrap some electrical tape around the bar near the 90 degree bend so that you don't gouge or scratch the chrome when you are filing.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Alldatjazz
      Hello everyone thanks for reading. I recently came across a Mustang that is supposedly a 1982, but it's very difficult to find info on these years. Can anyone tell me some tell-tale signs? I have a few pics of it that I will attach. 
      Serial: R018034 . Theres conflicting info on this. According to a mustang history page, that means it's 1982, but according to a decoder, it's a 2004 reissue?
      I can't figure out how to upload pics through here? So here's a link to the imgur gallery
      https://imgur.com/gallery/jNs2yUg
      If anyone can help, that'd be awesome and I'd really appreciate it.

• By bjd
      Hi everyone. I'm having real problems with the trem on my Japanese jaguar.
      It started with a really ugly creaking sound which, after a bit of googling, seemed to be due to the spring being too loose or something. So, I tightened the screw below the hold button and thought I'd fixed it. 
      Then I noticed a clacking sound because the moving part was hitting against the plate. So I loosened the screw. 
      Now I'm moving between the two, and tightening or loosening leads to each of the problems reappearing. It is driving me MAD.
      Also, the hold switch is very loose and doesn't make any difference whether its forward or back.
      All in all, it's a complete nuisance and makes the thing all but unplayable. Do I have to remove the whole trem? If so, what am I looking for and how can I fix it? 
      Any suggestions very gratefully received.
    • By CatharticAudio
      I am in the process of putting a 70s Mustang together and am wondering if a new fender tremolo will fit, the part number is 0035566000.
      My only options if it does not fit is warmoth or eBay.
    • By MikeWid
      I bought a new Sqiuer VM Jazzmaster, and found buzzing and crackling after using the tremolo.
      I sent it back to the shop. 
      I received the guitar back yesterday, but the fault was not fixed.
      I checked the bridge to jack ground with a multi-meter and it was open circuit.
      I made a diagnostic fix by connecting a wire from the jack nut to one of the tremolo screws. (see attached)
      The static noise has gone completely.
      I found a diagram on the web showing a ground wire to the bridge posts.(attached)
      However, I am sure the ground wire is connected to the bridge post (top E), but the floating bridge loses ground when you use the tremolo.
      If you push the bridge forward or back the ground is good but the bridge shifts as you use the tremolo.
      THE CAUSE:-
      The guitar was set up as you would a Strat (no floating bridge), the bridge was lowered right down by the 2 adjusters at the sides. Then the string heights were set by each string adjuster.
      The bridge height adjuster on the earth side (top E) was not making good contact with ground.
      THE SOLUTION:-
      There are 2 screws which adjust bridge height, in the holes on each end of the bridge.
      They are adjusted with the tiny alan key.
      I raised the bridge by about 4mm. then lowered each string adjuster.
      The bridge now rocks smoothly as the tremolo is used, and the strings now stay grounded.
      JOB DONE.