les paul custom - how much better?

Does it make sense to save up money and get the les paul custom vs. being able to get a les paul standard or classic for cheaper/faster? I only plan on getting 1 les paul, so this decision might be tough based on that fact...

Ideally, feedback from someone who has/played both would be best. I liked the standard when I played it, but everything I hear about the customs (never had the chance to play one) makes it sound like they blow all other les pauls and even gibsons away; which is, of course, why they are so expensive :(.

i dont understand what the diffence is, do they use different construction methods, a nicer neck? anthing in the 1500 range is already going to be fantastic in terms of quality, and i dont think spending more than that on a solid body could ever be justified. the people who write those reviews are usually just successful businesmen who think they are guitar connisoures just because they can afford it

I may be wrong (do let me know if I am) but I think the Customs are more expensive is mainly due to the cosmestic 'enhancements' like block inlays, full body/headstock-bindings, headstock inlay, gold-plated hardware, etc...but features/playability-wise, personally, I can't say there's much differences (unless it's the 3-pickup model). Still, I like the way the Customs look (especially when I'm a fan of full-bindings/block inlays *lol*) and I used to eye on ebay for affordable 80s Customs (cos of the volute on the neck) but the lefties are scarce and those available seemed to be out of my budget :(

Well, there's no harm saving up first and trying out a Custom once you have a chance to, and see if you'd really like it better than the Standards/Classics. Have you checked the used guitar sections of stores or ebay for more affordable Customs?

hey differences in Customs I belive are Bustbuckers alot of Les Pauls have regular Gibson Humbuckers that they put in there flying V the T450 or something like that I cant remember. I have played a les paul standard and they are good but I find the customs look really nice to me,but if your gonna save up all the money for a Les Paul might as well get a custom they will be worth more and hell if u need to save all that money why go ALL THE WAY! haha check out there VOS line of Les Pauls very nice!

Thanks for the feedback. I actually have enough to buy a new custom outright, but since its so much money to part with at one time, I figured I would save anyway, just so the loss wouldnt be so big. Then again, AMS has that program where you can divide the payments up over like 5 months @ $600 a month.

holikujak - Yeah, I wondered how many of the excellent reviews out there were really just fanboys or sales reps trying to make it look good. Unfortunately, there is no way to know unless I have played one, or at least have good reviews from someone trustworthy who actually has one.

I do need to see what is available used, Elias. I might be able to find something at a reasonable price then. I imagine everyone else wants one too; when they become available used, I dont imagine them being too much cheaper than a new one by the time they sell on ebay.

bandit - Actually, I was wondering about those burstbuckers - how they compared to the regular gibson humbuckers.

I would say the hardest part of this is knowing you could get about 2 AV RI Jaguars/4 CIJ Jaguars/4 Mustangs, etc for the same price as a custom.

the les paul forum has a wealth of info to help you decide.ofcourse you should play some to see if the price difference is worth it to you.BTW burstbuckers sound fricken awsome!

Thanks, I will try that. I have to admit though, I figured I would be more likely to get an honest opinion of a Les Paul here, than a Gibson forum. Vice versa for Fender...

the les paul forum has a wealth of info to help you decide.ofcourse you should play some to see if the price difference is worth it to you.BTW burstbuckers sound fricken awsome!

Thanks, I will try that. I have to admit though, I figured I would be more likely to get an honest opinion of a Les Paul here, than a Gibson forum. Vice versa for Fender...

im just saying theres a ton of info on that forum for you to help make your decision easier.all three of the guitars your interested in are great.good luck!
  • 3 weeks later...

Pretty sure the les paul customs actually have the 498t style pickups. The standards have burstbucker V's in them i think. Gibson just keeps on raising their prices higher and higher, soon they're going to realize they cant keep charging rediculously high prices for their guitars when a high quality company with lower prices takes over their market.

Pretty sure the les paul customs actually have the 498t style pickups. The standards have burstbucker V's in them i think. Gibson just keeps on raising their prices higher and higher, soon they're going to realize they cant keep charging rediculously high prices for their guitars when a high quality company with lower prices takes over their market.

Oh I was thinking about the Gibson Customs like the 1959 RI Lp,sorry.

the big non-cosmetic difference between a les paul custom and les paul standard is 1) is has thinner lower frets (hence hwy they're known as "the fretless wonder") and 2) the fretboard is made of ebony, which is a lot harder than rosewood.

both these factors mean it's slightly faster to play, if you're into lead playing.

also yeh it looks a lot cooler...in fact my fav guitarist ever (James Dean Bradfield) uses one as his signiture guitar.

as long as people are solely concerned with teh name on the guitar, Gibson will get people to buy their guitars.end of story.

THATS A HOT LES PAUL! that case looks like the one my Jimmy Page came in.

thanks. i really am impressed with how it plays...i worried that it would be too much a "looks" guitar, but it definitely has the sound to match the beauty. i think this is definitely a lifetime guitar, unlike alot of others I have played.