Hello everyone,

I'm looking to eventually get one of the newer duo-sonics or mustangs and put some humbuckers in it. I have a Jazzmaster that I love that covers the single coil stuff, but I want to have a guitar with humbuckers for a different sound and also so I don't have to worry about hum. I like the idea of duo-sonics/mustangs because of the size, they look cool, and they're cheap! I mostly play alternative stuff.

What are some single coil-sized humbuckers that I could put in these guitars that could do clean and heavy nirvana-like sounds well? Also, I'm considering the duo sonic hs, but I don't really want the single coil in the neck and don't know much about it's pickups. In this case I could always keep the original humbucker or put a full size in.

Maybe I should also add that I have a Fender DRRI and use pedals for distortion (I don't take the volume beyond 3 or 4 typically).

Suggestions welcome either way.

Thanks!

Most people used JB for your style of music - both in single-coil size or full humbucker size.

But recent releases of newer seymour duncan pickups are worth experimenting.

I currently use JB which is good bridge pickup for both clean and distorted.  It can push your amp for that crunchy gain and cut through any loud band setup.

I also used DiMarzio DP103 which paired well with a single coil neck pickup.  It does not overwhelm the weaker neck pickup.