This weeks Sunday Fuzz is the Smashing Pumpkins playing an uptempo version of Cherub Rock live at Budokan in 2000.
This weeks Sunday Fuzz is the Smashing Pumpkins – Siva. Released on the Gish album in 1991.
The Billy Corgan Fender Stratocaster that we started talking about back in January is now on Fender.com as part of their Artist Series. [url] We’re assuming this guitar will get the grand unveiling at the upcoming Summer NAMM that is coming up June 20-22 in Nashville.
Not a whole lot of surprises up to this point. The most interesting specs are as follows:
- colors: (805) Olympic White and (806) Flat Black (satin nitro)
- jumbo frets on Modern “C” Shape neck with large ’70s style headstock (satin poly)
- 1 Special Design Dimarzio® Billy Corgan Single-Spaced Humbucking Pickup (Neck)
- 1 Dimarzio® Chopper™ Pickup (Middle)
- 1 Special Design Dimarzio® Billy Corgan Single-Spaced Humbucking Pickup (Bridge)
- original body shape (?? not sure how it differs from standard stratocaster)
The pickup switching has some non-standard settings that benefit from the single-spaced Dimarzio humbuckers.
- Position 1. Full Humbucking Bridge Pickup
- Position 2. Inside Coil of Bridge Pickup and Full Humbucking Middle Pickup
- Position 3. Full Humbucking Middle Pickup
- Position 4. Full Humbucking Middle Pickup and Outside Coil of Neck Pickup
- Position 5. Full Humbucking Neck Pickup
Update: Interstate music is showing a list price of 1999.99 for this new strat. Which would mean a retail price around 1449.99. What are your opinions on this price point?
Update 2: Sam Ash is showing a list price of 1599.99 with a retail of 1199.99.
A bit more info is trickling out above the upcoming Billy Corgan signature stratocaster.
Fender blogs about some custom DiMarzio BC pickups HERE. Being called BC80 and BC89 they also have a photo on the blog post. If anyone has a guess as to what DiMarzio model these might be based on let’s hear it.
[photo via Fender Blog]
On Jan 21 there was a post on the Fender blog with the following quote: “soon-to-be Fender signature artist Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins” Which would indicate an official signature guitar is on the horizon. Along with that post was a great video of Billy visiting the Fender booth at Winter NAMM 2008.
The blog post and video have since been removed by Fender so it appears the community team jumped the gun a bit in sharing the news of this signature guitar.
EDIT: the Fender blog post and video that were unavailable since Jan 24 have now returned. (Jan 29)
Fender Blog Post with video [link]
The online buzz is that the strat will be the one he’s been playing on the latest pumpkins tour. The newish looking 70s styled strat. And it will come in 2 colors, black and white (creme?).
Hopefully Fender will give some official info soon.